Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 05-30-2007, 07:11 PM

Default Re: Time to change all star voting?

Voting has always been a popularity contest to some extent. So long as you know that's what it is, i don't see a big reason to change it.

However, the need to stop with this nonsense that awards AS game winner home field in the World Series. That's utter bullhonkey.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:31 PM

In the AS game, fans generally don't vote for the best players. They vote for who they want to see most on the field.

Since the Yankees and Red Sox have the most fans, they have the most votes and thus get the most starting players on the team.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:46 PM

I like your idea of limiting the number of ballots per team, but I think it should be left up to fans and not a panel.

Does baseball still have the rule that every team needs to be represented? I know the NHL got rid of that and it is a bad idea. It's fun to cheer for the local all star, even if he kinda sucks.

The NHL also used to have a "commissioner's selectuion", which meant that the commish would put 2 older players into the game, even if they weren't voted or chosen by the manager. It could be a nice last hurrah for guys who've been around forever, even if they never were all star material.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:15 PM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

/thread
Old 05-30-2007, 10:32 PM

David Eckstein has more votes than Hanley Ramirez. I should never underestimate scrappiness.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like your idea of limiting the number of ballots per team, but I think it should be left up to fans and not a panel.

Does baseball still have the rule that every team needs to be represented? I know the NHL got rid of that and it is a bad idea. It's fun to cheer for the local all star, even if he kinda sucks.

The NHL also used to have a "commissioner's selectuion", which meant that the commish would put 2 older players into the game, even if they weren't voted or chosen by the manager. It could be a nice last hurrah for guys who've been around forever, even if they never were all star material.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they still have that rule that every team must be represented.
The managers also get to pick players, its not a big deal as the OP seems to think it is, everyone knows what the All-Star game is about (the fans).
Old 05-31-2007, 01:22 AM

getting rid of this stupid game would be even better
with that said the baseball AS game is the only AS game of the 4 major sports thats even watchable.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are under the impression that the All-Star game is for the best players at each position, It is not. If the fans want to see Boof Bonser and So Taguchi, then they should be starting.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it's not what all the fans want to see. It's just a competition between the largest markets of the AL, Detroit, New York, and Boston. The fans of Minnesota and Oakland should have just as much input on who goes as the fans of New York and Boston. (Even if there are not as many of them!)

[/ QUOTE ]

They do have just as much input. One ballot, one vote. How is that not having equal input? When you go to a game do you take 100 ballots and fill them out between half-innings? Have you voted your 25 times on MLB.com?

It's not about market size, it's about rabid fan base size. That's where the disconnect occurs.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:46 AM

Why does everyone always say that All-Star voting should be based on player performance in this season. You really think running hot for two months makes you one of the best players at your position? If this is the criteria, how well a player performed in the second half of any season, or in the playoffs, would never factor into All-Star decisions. This seems pretty perverse considering that "number of All-Star selections" is frequently batted are in Hall of Fame discussions, etc. Either people should actually vote for the best players, and not just the hottest players, or completely ignore All-Star appearances as measure of player value.

It's also funny that you say that the voting is dominated by Yankees/Red Sox, but then argue for Posada, Pedroia, Youkilis as better choices than the current leaders.

Pedroia should be an All-Star? He has a .716 OPS in 200 at-bats in his major league career. Brian Roberts should be well ahead of him, along with Polanco.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You are under the impression that the All-Star game is for the best players at each position, It is not. If the fans want to see Boof Bonser and So Taguchi, then they should be starting.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the fans want this, then they should call the game something else.