Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 09:37 AM

Default Buffer overrun detected?

About 2 days ago I downloaded a file that had some viruses/trojans on it, and after that I keap getting a message saying that windows/explorer has a buffer overrun which has corrupted it's internal state. I'm guessing this isn't something easy to fix, but if anybody can help or tell me where to go to get some help that would be great.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Buffer overrun detected?

Also, if this is something that would be fixed by wiping my computer clean, and reloading xp from scratch I might just do that as I'm starting to get way to much BS on here.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

About 2 days ago I downloaded a file that had some viruses/trojans on it, and after that I keap getting a message saying that windows/explorer has a buffer overrun which has corrupted it's internal state.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least it is telling you... is this Vista (edit: obv. not by the second post)? or do you have some kind of security app giving you this information?

[ QUOTE ]

if this is something that would be fixed by wiping my computer clean, and reloading xp from scratch I might just do that

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely do this ASAP.

If you have some viruses causing buffer overruns (popular method to execute trojan/backdoor/keylogger etc.) I recomment not trusting this computer at all.

Format / reinstall / change all account passwords / etc.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:51 PM

thanks dave,

I guess my only question left then is will I be fine following the instructions in the faq assuming I don't care if I lose all my data?

edit: Now you have me pretty worried, mcafee has found a trojan that was changing web pages sending me to adds, but saying I might have a keylogger has me [censored] ing bricks.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:12 PM

In the FAQ here? I haven't read it lol [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Just copy important data to some CDs, Boot from an XP installation disc and format the drive when given the opportunity.

backup your postgresql using PT or pg_dumpall (or both) and burn to CD if you value the data your PT holds.

[ QUOTE ]

Now you have me pretty worried, mcafee has found a trojan that was changing web pages sending me to adds, but saying I might have a keylogger has me [censored] ing bricks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't be too worried about it, chances are it is just a spam-bot adserver - but is is absolutely not worth risking it.

A trojan can do wtf it's master commands to an infected computer.

Disconnect from Internet, Get the thing installed with a clean Windows, then change passwords ASAP. Ideally change passwords from a second uninfected TRUSTED computer... but access to such I would imagine is unlikely.

Don't worry, just get it done. Probably far more paranoid about security but need be - but in this case your KNOW you comp has been comprimised... not worth taking any chance IMO.

dave.