Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 02:22 AM

Default Re: bottom two against rocky

[ QUOTE ]
his play of A9 this way is a little strange but ive seen him play AK like this as well and of course take the free card on the turn. that's why i felt AK was possible.

one thing that affected the flop play was i had been getting really aggressive, particularly in 3 betting the button's raises out of my sb, forcing him to fold a lot of hands in the bb that he wanted to play for 1 more bet. so he was a bit fed up with my aggression. also i had been c/ring him a lot on flops when he raised and i called in the bb. so i think this was a "i have a pair this time and im going to 3 bet you and maintain control of the hand" flop 3 bet. i actually sensed that on the flop and almost 4 bet and in retrospect should have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I was really surprised he had A9 here. One thing I noticed about him is that overall he plays pretty ABC with some trickiness mixed in, but against the notorious lags he goes overly ballistic sometimes. One hand in Arizona he raised mid position and a very good LAG 3 bet him and he called, and then proceeded to check 6 bet the 8 high flop with just JJ.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:06 AM

There are tons of guys against whom you can fold this river live. Blah blah odds blah blah heads up pot, the flop threebet means he has something that's not a draw, the turn ace/club shut him down and potentially put him into calldown mode even with a hand like KcKx. He doesn't have an ace unless he has two of them or a pair on the flop and there's absolutely no way he bets KK or JJ or KQ on the river, there's no way he expects you to call with a hand that loses to those (and you wouldn't). And thus, I think checkfolding is correct but betting might still be better, I don't know, I definitely think that even though folding once he bets is right that you still miss value on a few hands he might hold.

Anwyays, while it is close, these types of folds are to be found all over the place in live play and I have serious questions for anyone who even suggests checkraising here. If live play is so easy why do we respond like we're playing online?

-Michael
Old 04-20-2007, 02:02 PM

Mike,

You've mentioned he wouldn't bet AT, but would he call with it?
Old 04-20-2007, 02:21 PM

"You've mentioned he wouldn't bet AT, but would he call with it?"

yes. but the way he acted on the turn (he even said the word "okay" when he sighed) made it sound like he had a really strong hand but was consigned to the fact he might very well be up against a flush so he couldnt raise. anyway let this thread die, i played the hand perfectly and couldnt really make it as clear as i wanted to in the initial post to make it a good thread for everyone. i shouldve just pmed doug and justin privately. sorry guys.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"You've mentioned he wouldn't bet AT, but would he call with it?"

yes. but the way he acted on the turn (he even said the word "okay" when he sighed) made it sound like he had a really strong hand but was consigned to the fact he might very well be up against a flush so he couldnt raise. anyway let this thread die, i played the hand perfectly and couldnt really make it as clear as i wanted to in the initial post to make it a good thread for everyone. i shouldve just pmed doug and justin privately. sorry guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. I'll lock this, but it was interesting discussion nevertheless. And I think we'd all prefer you post your hands for all to read, Mike. A mike l. hand can never be a bad thing to see here.
Closed Thread