Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2006, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Do I have to attend my friends wedding in Cabo?

If they have a "marriage club" like you say, I wouldnt go, I completely understand what you are saying. I dont think you have to go, and I probably wouldnt want to either.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:09 PM

What kind of awful friend has a wedding in Mexico.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:12 PM

Did they have a 'save the date' warning? Most people who have weddings away from home let people know atleast a year in advance so they can plan ahead. If not, that's just bloody rude.

Tell him you can't attend, but consider offering your services to help them throw a reception/party when they get home. Most sane people who get married away from home do that for the poor buggers who can't attend.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds to me like the real issue is more about you sacrificing a trip of your own next year. Sorta of selfish if you ask me. Are you in the wedding at all? You made it sound like he was a good friend you've known for 10 years, then you say you hardly hang out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you're right I'm probably being a little selfish, but my vacation is no guarantee because I may need to replace a clutch or some other random expensive crap could happen during the year.

I'm not in the wedding, but it is going to be a short ceremony with only family in it.

We hardly hang out because he has lived with his fiancee for over five years and he's whipped pretty good. Before that we used to party a lot in HS and college.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't go. It sounded like you were much closer than this. I have plenty of college buddies I chill with every once in a while. If they had a wedding in a foreign country and I couldn't afford the trip, I wouldn't feel bad about missing it.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"listen, honestly, i'd love to go, but my funds are really tight and i can't afford to drop a grand right now. here's a wedding gift. have fun."

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't work so well in light of the fact that he's already said he plans a week-long ski or beach trip. If he ditches the wedding, then Buddy finds out about the ski trip, Buddy may be justified in having some questions about how their friendship has been prioritized. A week-long beach trip would probably be even worse, since that is essentially what he would be bailing on given that Buddy's wedding is in Cabo.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did they have a 'save the date' warning? Most people who have weddings away from home let people know atleast a year in advance so they can plan ahead. If not, that's just bloody rude.

Tell him you can't attend, but consider offering your services to help them throw a reception/party when they get home. Most sane people who get married away from home do that for the poor buggers who can't attend.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew almost 6 months in advance. I think I'm gonna tell him I can't afford. The reception party sounds like a good idea.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I knew almost 6 months in advance. I think I'm gonna tell him I can't afford. The reception party sounds like a good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

What will you say when he offers to pay for you trip? That will be awkward, and it will happen... because $1200 is nothing and if he is a good friend he won't want to hear the "I don't want to miss my ski trip" excuse.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:43 PM

Don't go.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What will you say when he offers to pay for you trip? That will be awkward, and it will happen... because $1200 is nothing and if he is a good friend he won't want to hear the "I don't want to miss my ski trip" excuse.

[/ QUOTE ]

He'll understand. I'm sure he planned on this happening to a few of us when going through with decision to get married in [censored] Cabo. He says it's cheaper than getting married here. Also, he's already broke himself, or so he claims, from all the deposits and paying for the trip.