Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 11-23-2007, 09:42 PM

Default Re: HU 25/50 really weird spot deep

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
he probably expects you to play AA exactly the way you did here

[/ QUOTE ]

what????

why would he ever expect me to play AAxx like this when its this deep? or ever really?

[/ QUOTE ]

are you saying you wouldn't?
Old 11-23-2007, 10:14 PM

yes, obviously. do you always felt when you flop a set on a flush board? I mean, that truly doesnt make any sense...
Old 11-23-2007, 10:17 PM

i seen sbrugby make some strange plays(stupid) in the past.

i am positive rugby uses every weapon against you gordo because he knows that you are going to play a long session where "motivation" plays have ev.

i wouldnt fold this in a million years against rugby on the turn........espeacially when brian is tilted.

if brian doesnt have a flush or 888 in this spot, he should quit poker.

ive also seen brian play a hand damn near exactly the same way with no flush and hit a set of kings on the turn and played it the exact same way.

rugby will try to represent anything sometimes espeacially when a few 100bb deep. thats what makes him tough.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:12 AM

I'd almost always call the flop/raise the turn here. It just looks so strong against a good opponent. Of course, if he's good enough to 3rd level on that and call weak when you make the delayed bluff, I guess you might want to play it different. Do you really 3-bet the nut flush on the flop though? I can't remember ever doing that.

As much as you'd like to maximize your equity if you get caught bluffing with a set, I think I like waiting for the turn here just because it brings your fold equity up so much.

As played, call. You're so short that you only have to pick off a semi-bluff once in a blue moon to make it worth calling. I think an unpredictable good LAG opponent will put you on the naked K enough with this line to make calling with top set worthwhile.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yes, obviously. do you always felt when you flop a set on a flush board? I mean, that truly doesnt make any sense...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there are a lot of reasons to play top set very aggressively on the flush board, and would expect others to do the same.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:09 AM

I think he's got to have a flush the vast majority of the time. he'd be crazy to run big check-raise bluffs out of position that offer you 4:1 much, and his reraise range on the flop should include sets more than weaker flushes. actually, if you are agro, his range should skew even smaller as he'll make more on check-raising the turn and not letting you get away from weaker flushes, bluffs and missed sets.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:47 AM

the ony hand i can really put him on here is something like 889T w/clubs, where hes thinking either you have a better flush and he has outs, or AAxx and hes ahead. part of your range would also be the bare king from his point of view, so by getting his money in on the turn hes kind of hedging his bets a little figuring overall his situation is +ev, but he dosent really know where you are at
Old 11-24-2007, 02:39 PM

I agree with pete that playing top set fast on a flush board is often a good idea... if your opponent will fold even just his low flushes to the action your equity is pretty huge.

The problem with waiting until the turn, obviously, is that if we do get called we're in a way worse spot. On the flop we're generally going to be in the 40% to win range, which after a bet and a raise anyway is almost justified without any fold equity.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with pete that playing top set fast on a flush board is often a good idea... if your opponent will fold even just his low flushes to the action your equity is pretty huge.

[/ QUOTE ]

as a rare move, sure, I completely agree, but having that play be your standard is a pretty big leak IMO if you are playing opponents that are willing to adjust to your style even a little bit.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:51 PM

Assuming you're willing to do the same with the nut flush I don't think it's that bad at all. Just calling straight and flush flops with sets is tricky because it tends to kill your implied odds, and unless you're habitually trapping with nut straights and flushes it telegraphs your hand quite often. Obviously mixing it up is important, but as a sort of common line I prefer playing both types of hands fast to playing them both slow.