Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2007, 01:23 PM

Default Re: tough spot: your line

Use the HH next time and give better reads. You got trapped by AA and couldnt get away from your overpair, tough break, it happens, get over it.

And bet the flop 3/4ths or 2/3rds pot.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Full Tilt $100+9 6-handed. 66 people left out of 320. 43 get paid. I have 10K left. Villain has 17K. He's somewhat tight and very aggressive. He repopped me several times and I folded preflop. 150/300 blinds w/ 25 antes. UTG with 10,10. I make it 900 to go. He smooth calls. Flop is 9,8,5 with two spades. your line?

[/ QUOTE ]

My gut tells me to check-raise AI, I think we have the best hand right now and I wouldn't mind ending it after getting a few more chips in the pot.

I'm not worried about a huge over pair here because would have re-popped it, right?

2 spades, bah. If we 1/2, 3/4 the pot he still may stay around.

If you check and show some weakness, the TAG that he is will probably try to steal with a 1/2 PSB and we can make a huge re-raise and take it down.

I'm only worried if he bets small or checks behind.
Even if he checks behind I'm still betting the turn no matter what hits.

I don't like betting out here because c-bets get called a lot by 2 overs-then what will you do on the turn if something higher than a ten hits?
Old 04-13-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Full Tilt $100+9 6-handed. 66 people left out of 320. 43 get paid. I have 10K left. Villain has 17K. He's somewhat tight and very aggressive. He repopped me several times and I folded preflop. 150/300 blinds w/ 25 antes. UTG with 10,10. I make it 900 to go. He smooth calls. Flop is 9,8,5 with two spades. your line?

[/ QUOTE ]

My gut tells me to check-raise AI, I think we have the best hand right now and I wouldn't mind ending it after getting a few more chips in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not good IMO. I would only pull this off if 1) knew he had overcards. 2) Knew he would bet if checked to. 3) Knew he wouldn't call a flop bet with the same overcards.

Here is why? If you check/raise shove he is folding his overcards everytime, but calling you with hands that beat you everytime (overpairs and sets).

Thus, the only reason to check/raise shove here is if you know villain will fold to your c-bet if he has overcards, but bet those same overcards if checked too. Otherwise, a check/raise shove is not good.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:54 PM

That's a valid point seke. He repopped when I raised his blind from the button on the other occasions. The way the hand played out, I bet 2/3 of pot on flop. He flat called. Turn came another 9. I bet 2/3. He raised. I pushed. I puked when he showed AA. I think one line would have been check-call flop and then bet out turn. That would have showed me where I stood relatively cheaply. The free card argument isn't that strong here. He would have reraised w/ AK most times. Only AQ and AJ are you worried about free card. If he had an underpair several just hit and the rest you're crushing. I think I likely could have folded to his turn raise(though I had a lot of my chips in at that point already). It's a tough spot and I don't know the correct line. I'm glad to have gotten some really good responses though. Sorry about not putting it in the correct format. I wasn't aware of that. I'll definitely keep it in mind next time.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Only AQ and AJ are you worried about free card.

[/ QUOTE ]Not true. The list of hands you don't want to give a free card to is long: AK, AQ, AJ, KQ, KJ, AJ, QJ, QT, JT, 56 or any hand containing two spades.This is a draw heavy board and it was very gutsy of villain to slowplay aces on this flop.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:09 PM

he's pretty tight. I'm not sure he'd call an early position raise w/ worse than k,q even 6-handed. Although I guess he was deep enough and maybe would have figured he had position.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:13 PM

We don't know what villain's position is from your discussion, but with an M above 20 I'd assume that at least a bunch of high suited connectors would be in his range, if not lower ones.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and thought processes going into that? for instance, what's the cheapest way to tell for sure where you stand?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The way the hand played out, I bet 2/3 of pot on flop. He flat called. Turn came another 9. I bet 2/3. He raised. I pushed. I puked when he showed AA. I think one line would have been check-call flop and then bet out turn. That would have showed me where I stood relatively cheaply.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not the correct way to think about poker. Maximizing information is unquestionably not the primary goal and in many ways shouldn't be a goal at all. Particularly against aggressive players who don't even provide you with useful information.

Betting the flop seems pretty standard/good, and since he's probably shoving all flush draws, sets, a bunch of pair + gutshots (77/66 in particular), occasional air, and occasional slowplayed AA/KK, I'd guess calling a shove shows a huge profit. If he calls, check fold the worst turns and probably check shove the good ones.

edit: also, are you the furf I met at that charity tournament?

Steve