Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 11:55 AM

Default Re: First Post

I definitely call on 3rd with and 3 overcards to the board. I don't even think a raise is out of the question. The fact that it is only $1-2 only encourages me because I have a hand that will probably need to be played multi-way to get the right pot odds to continue. Any card 10 or higher helps and they are completely live. I don't understand folding in this spot.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In 7csfap, don't they say not to raise after a number of players are in, except with Aces, and sometimes Kings, the theory being that your equity edge is simply too high to pass up the raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite. I post something to this effect a couple of times a month, though. IIRC, 7CS4AP recommends that you limp in late with big pairs and try to thin the field later. If people are limping in with just anything, however, then you give up too much with just a pair of Jacks. But if people are playing sanely and you suddenly find yourself in a hand where there are six limpers, you're going to be up against better-than-average hands, so limping becomes more attractive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you can make somewhat of an assumption that people are limping in with just anything in this "what if i had aces" hypothetical given the stakes and the fact that they limped in with an 8 a 6 and a duplicated 2. In a higher limit game I would be much more leary of people limping in than I would be here.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the posters aren't noticing that this is 1/2 and that you have no stealing equity (on 3rd anyways).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the key. You're not after stealing equity, you're after pot equity and this is a great situation No limper folds third. Even the bringer-in calls with two top trumps down. So the pot fattens. You then usually act first on fourth and bet and lots of limpers fold and you have the initiative in a fat pot and the advantage that your opponents will generally assume that you have at least AA so no one raises.

That has to be worth one bet on 3rd. Obviously, fourth can be really bad and you have to let it go when you catch a 2 and two opponents pair their door cards. But raising 3rd seems like a must to me.