Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 04:40 AM

Default Datamining/swapping hands to build PT database

Explicitly against terms and conditions at stars, or no?

I know Stars has a list of safe software such as pokertracker but was wondering whether swapping hands to build a database is still illegal or if they ever stated it was actually ok. Thanks

3.4 EXTERNAL PLAYER ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS (EPA). PokerStars prohibits External player assistance programs ("EPA Programs") which are designed to provide an "Unfair Advantage" to players. PokerStars defines External to mean computer software (other than the PokerStars game client provided by PokerStars), and non-software-based databases or profiles (e.g. web sites and subscription services). PokerStars defines an "Unfair Advantage" as a User accessing or compiling information on other players beyond that which the User has personally observed through the User's own game play.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:53 AM

Default Re: Datamining/swapping hands to build PT database

I think exchanging a few hand histories with a friend to get advice is one thing.

Using many hand histories that aren't yours to build a database is quite another.

Stars did not use your exact words, but it sounds like you are looking for a loophole not a clarification.

If stats are really important to you, why not play on Tilt?
Old 07-09-2007, 11:26 AM

I'd like some clarification here.

1. Does it work to literally just add hand histories that other online players have collected and add them to your PT database?

2. What is the strict definition of datamining? I mean Pokertracker is datamining right?

3. Can I open up a few tables and collect data on players if I'm not playing at the tables? (Two questions here really - is the technology in PT to do this and two, is it legal at all sites?)

I'm new to this dataminig stuff, so if there is a thread that explains how it works/legalities, I would be interested.)
Old 07-09-2007, 02:30 PM

No I don't want to do this and I don't think others should either although I don't really care, but I think people are morons for going ape [censored] over multiaccounters yet datamining non observed hands which is also illegal
Old 07-09-2007, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Explicitly against terms and conditions at stars, or no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it is explicitly against their terms and conditions, which say, "compiling information on other players beyond that which the User has personally observed through the User's own game play."

That's not a complex statement. You may only compile hands from your own game play.

[ QUOTE ]
1. Does it work to literally just add hand histories that other online players have collected and add them to your PT database?

[/ QUOTE ]
That would be database swapping/purchasing.

Datamining is used in online poker with a different to every other use of the word "datamining." However, what people understand as datamining is essentially setting a program to record observed hand histories from games that they are not involved in.

[ QUOTE ]
2. What is the strict definition of datamining? I mean Pokertracker is datamining right?

[/ QUOTE ]
See above.

Datamining is commonly accepted to mean recording HHs from hands you are not involved with.

[ QUOTE ]
3. Can I open up a few tables and collect data on players if I'm not playing at the tables? (Two questions here really - is the technology in PT to do this and two, is it legal at all sites?)

[/ QUOTE ]
It varies from site, on both the technicality and the feasibility.

For example, Party formerly allowed HHs to be recorded when you were merely observing the table. They changed their software so that it is no longer easily done, but other, 3rd party software is available and I understand that they do not oppose it.

By contrast, Stars forbids all of this.

Other sites may have different policies.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:26 PM

Uh no
Old 07-09-2007, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Uh no

[/ QUOTE ]

what does this mean?
Old 07-10-2007, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Uh no

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see anything wrong with his post.