Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Puzzles and Other Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2006, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Brag: I finally beat Linley\'s Dungeon Crawl.

MOO 3 sucked. MOO 2 is the best of the MOO series, but MOO 1 is still very fun. My big problem with MOO 1 is that when another race breaks their alliance with you, you get penalized diplomatically for being the treaty breaker.

One day I was really bored and in a huge galaxy with 5 opponents as the Meklar (average level) I got every single technology. All of them.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My big problem with MOO 1 is that when another race breaks their alliance with you, you get penalized diplomatically for being the treaty breaker.

[/ QUOTE ]

When something like that is your biggest problem with a game, it usually means it's awesome. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Anyway, unless you're Human, diplomacy is very hostile on the Impossible difficult setting. Basically, diplomacy is a time bomb and the only thing you can do is appease erstwhile conquerors with technology gifts and pit races against each other in wars to stave off the inevitable invasion as long as possible.

Klackons are the best on Impossible, btw, because of their Industry bonus, but all the races are winnable.

Can you tell I'm very enthusiastic about archaic PC games? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2006, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Can you tell I'm very enthusiastic about archaic PC games? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did someone say XCOM? Seriously Jeff, I think you might be my long lost twin. Incidentally, per your recommendations on rec.games.roguelike , Ive been trying to run a Minotaur Monk. The latest iteration is starting to look quite promising.

EDIT: Of course as soon as I wrote that I died to an ice beast.aarrgh this game is frustrating.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:38 PM

XCOM is the best game ever.

Is it available anywhere now, and workable on XP, etc?
Old 07-19-2006, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
XCOM is the best game ever.

Is it available anywhere now, and workable on XP, etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here ya go. I think it should run fine on XP based on this line:

[ QUOTE ]
It goes together with a patch that fixes graphic problems on Windows XP and some other system platforms. Download and enjoy!

[/ QUOTE ]

Enjoy!
Old 07-19-2006, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did someone say XCOM? Seriously Jeff, I think you might be my long lost twin.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't tried XCOM yet(don't worry, I plan to once I've got Crawl out of my system again), but I've heard great things about it.

[ QUOTE ]
Incidentally, per your recommendations on rec.games.roguelike , Ive been trying to run a Minotaur Monk. The latest iteration is starting to look quite promising.

EDIT: Of course as soon as I wrote that I died to an ice beast.aarrgh this game is frustrating.

[/ QUOTE ]

You were a Troglodyte, didn't you have Berserk and Haste Invocations? Wands? Oh well, I died like 900 times before I won. Post the morgue.txt here if you want and I'll take a look at him.

Incidentally, I posted another game recording, this time of a Spriggan Venom Mage from Turn 1 to Turn 44,000 when he secures the Serpentine Rune:
Spurn the SpVM

What did you think of my Hippo the HECr recording?
Old 07-19-2006, 06:28 AM

Thanks for the links to the recorded players! I'm watching the Hippo one now and am compiling questions (and comments) as I go along. If you have time, could you address them? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I noticed some monsters are highlighted in blue when they don't know you're there. I dug into init.txt and found the setting for it - it's very useful. Any other non-default settings you would recommend? Did you turn off pickup_thrown?

You carry corpses around instead of chunks sometimes. Aside from not wanting to sacrifice them while praying, are there any other advantages to doing so? Do they last longer before rotting?

You use macros for casting spells. What keys do you assign to them? What keys are generally available? Any other good macro combos you'd recommend?

As much as you use poisoned needles and darts, why did you turn those skills (throw/dart) off? Are they not useful enough later on?

Any mal effects from carrying rotten chunks/corpses besides the deadweight (pardon the pun)?

Any effects of being sick besides the occasional degenerayion effects?

Sorry for the barrage. Thanks for helping a newb learn!
Old 07-19-2006, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I noticed some monsters are highlighted in blue when they don't know you're there. I dug into init.txt and found the setting for it - it's very useful. Any other non-default settings you would recommend? Did you turn off pickup_thrown?

[/ QUOTE ]

The blue colour for sleeping monsters is key. The other critical setting is:

hp_warning = 50

[ QUOTE ]
You carry corpses around instead of chunks sometimes. Aside from not wanting to sacrifice them while praying, are there any other advantages to doing so? Do they last longer before rotting?

[/ QUOTE ]

Was I doing this after I converted to Okawaru? The typical reason I do this is that once you sacrifice a corpse, you can't eat it and once you convert it to chunks you can't sacrifice it. Therefore I try to carry a corpse around so that I can remain flexible and eat it if hungry, but sacrifice it if it rots.

[ QUOTE ]

You use macros for casting spells. What keys do you assign to them? What keys are generally available? Any other good macro combos you'd recommend?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, it varies from game to game. The most important macro I use is Tab='p'ray. F1-F4 are usually use for evoking or attack spells. /, *, -, +, Enter and 0 are used for various enchantments, equipment switching, etc.

[ QUOTE ]

As much as you use poisoned needles and darts, why did you turn those skills (throw/dart) off? Are they not useful enough later on?

[/ QUOTE ]

You nailed it.

[ QUOTE ]

Any mal effects from carrying rotten chunks/corpses besides the deadweight (pardon the pun)?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[ QUOTE ]

Any effects of being sick besides the occasional degenerayion effects?

[/ QUOTE ]

HP don't regenerate while you're sick.

[ QUOTE ]

Sorry for the barrage. Thanks for helping a newb learn!

[/ QUOTE ]

No problema, I am happy to help do my part for Crawl advocacy, hehe.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:16 PM

Damn I'm good. I just won again. This time with a Centaur--widely considered the most difficult race in the game.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:29 AM

Jeff,

Saw your post on RGM, congrats. Anyhow, I am doing this MiMo thing to death. I am trying to go pure unarmed, but maybe that is working against me? Also, with that character, should I be eschewing armor altogether? I know the problem with wearing heavy, but what about other types? I might need to go with another race/class combo, Im not sure.