Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life

Old 11-29-2007, 12:57 AM

Default Re: Ask Misfire anything about the LSAT/Law School Admissions

[ QUOTE ]
Misfire, do you suggest, study study study, take practice tests, then take a class? and take the LSAT

or take a class, study study study, practice tests, then LSAT?

Or class, study study study, practice tests, class, LSAT?

I'm trying to get in at USC, or UCLA if that matters, but would happily just stay at Ohio State and go there since it will be significantly cheaper

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I'm slow to respond...I didn't notice this got bumped until tonight.

Not sure how much the order matters, except that if you're using real LSAT material from LSAC, you'll eventually run out. Study study study should be a part of all of it. I highly recommend classes or a good tutor (tutor>>class) to help guide your study.

Practice tests are overrated IMHO. They're important, and give you a good idea about where you are, but shouldn't be the main tool for studying. They're good for developing your pacing, so you can kinda feel in your gut when you're taking too long on a question. Slow, methodical practice is where the bulk of improvement comes from. Knowing the test itself inside and out is more valuable than speed (speed comes naturally the better you get at the questions anyway).

I was going to apply to UCLA, but their application annoyed the [censored] out of me. It's like 13 pages and asks ridiculous questions.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
could one of you guys go into more detail with the audition/interview process?

I'm definitely going to want a part time job next semester and my interest is piqued by the flexible hours/good money.

[/ QUOTE ]

The TPR audition is just you teaching something non-academic for 5 minutes. I did Dave Ramsey's debt snowball. They just want to see if you can speak with any amount of energy in front of a room full of people. The training was rough, at least with my trainer, who apparently has a reputation for being difficult. It was good for me to sweat a bit, though, and I think made me a better teacher. The money is great for a part-time gig. I do it full time, so how well I eat depends on how many people need test prep that month.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Got a couple friends that are over at Belmont. Are you from TN?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not from TN, but I live there. Viva NashVegas!
Old 11-29-2007, 04:21 AM

Hey Misfire,

I have a question for you, I took the LSAT in February and scored a 155, My UG GPA was a measly 2.7, I got rejected pretty much everywhere I applied but John Marshall (Chicago), a school I do not want to attend. I started studying again and am practicing in the 163-164 range.

Obviously I am not shooting for the stars, I am hoping to get in to Loyola (Chicago) or University of Illinois. Do you think that I should take the test this Saturday or postpone till February?

My Weakness is RC and I usually get about 4-5 wrong per LR section. LG is my strongest section(0,-1)

I guess the real question is, do you think a 163 now gives me a better shot at UIUC than say a "possible" 168ish in February?

Thanks for any advice.

retep
Old 11-29-2007, 03:12 PM

My 2 cents:

Most schools are much harder to get into in Feb than they are in December and January. They fill up. Also if your weakness is RC, that is the hardest one by far to raise up.
If you want to start school in Fall 08 the Feb test probably will be too late. If you don't mind waiting a year then postpone until you are near optimally prepared.

Did you take you first LSAT last february and apply to school for 07?
Old 11-29-2007, 05:02 PM

Yeah, I applied to somewhere in the third tier on a fee waiver in like March for [censored] and giggles and got straight out rejected. I think it was UNLV or University of Pacific or something. Not even a waitlist.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:04 AM

wait, you are saying no one has heard of berkeley? maybe it's just cause i live in california but i always thought berkeley was one of the most recognizable schools given that it is the #1 public school in the country
Old 11-30-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wait, you are saying no one has heard of berkeley? maybe it's just cause i live in california but i always thought berkeley was one of the most recognizable schools given that it is the #1 public school in the country

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of people will have heard of it but it isn't one of the most recognizable.