Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 11:34 PM

Default Re: My Dad\'s [censored] Union

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What does your dad think about the situation?

Don't worry about your dad. Its very ususual for companies to hire permanent replacements for established unions.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems like in a case like this that leaving the union should be seriously considered. I think remaining in a union that is not able to represent your best interests would be counter productive, but I have no idea what the realities are for working in this business without a union.

[/ QUOTE ]

My Dad will never leave the union. He is a huge union guy. He hates the way his union is acting, but he will never ever ever cross a picket line. My family has a long union history. My grandfather was a union organizer and a card carrying communist when he was young. My Dad will go down with the union, even if losing his job means he doesn't have a shot in hell of getting the diabetes treatment he needs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds more like your dad joined a cult than a union.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:09 AM

They are not going to fire the manager. They already made thier decision. They are presenting thier no increase contract to the union tommorrow to punish them for turning down the original contract, and let them know who is boss. At that point they have to strike.

This contract wasn't even about depot managers. It was about wages and benefits. There is a mechanism for people to bring grievences with a manager to the union. These [censored] morons are too stupid to do that.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They didn't care and they voted down the contract (the only union under this company's management to do so under the terms of that contract. every other depot wasn't retarded).

[/ QUOTE ]How are decisions taken? I understood that this was only one chapter/depot among many. Is there a veto or something?
Old 11-25-2007, 05:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Don't worry about your dad. Its very ususual for companies to hire permanent replacements for established unions.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems like in a case like this that leaving the union should be seriously considered. I think remaining in a union that is not able to represent your best interests would be counter productive, but I have no idea what the realities are for working in this business without a union.

[/ QUOTE ]

My Dad will never leave the union. He is a huge union guy. He hates the way his union is acting, but he will never ever ever cross a picket line. My family has a long union history. My grandfather was a union organizer and a card carrying communist when he was young. My Dad will go down with the union, even if losing his job means he doesn't have a shot in hell of getting the diabetes treatment he needs.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds to me like his dad has principles.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:22 AM

If I own stock in a company usually I support a get tough with the unions strategy. It may not be that bad though. The UAW went out on strike against GM and that one was settled very quickly.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds to me like his dad has principles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, this was essentially my thought too.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:56 AM

lehighguy wrote in his OP in part:

We were offered a really good contract. I'm not going to go into details, but to give you an idea the increases in medical benefits were 15%, 13%, and 10% for the first three years. My Dad was pleasently surprised by the contract, and accepting it should be a no-brainer.

and he wrote in this subthread:

My Dad will never leave the union. He is a huge union guy. He hates the way his union is acting, but he will never ever ever cross a picket line. My family has a long union history. My grandfather was a union organizer and a card carrying communist when he was young. My Dad will go down with the union, even if losing his job means he doesn't have a shot in hell of getting the diabetes treatment he needs

So your saying this is a principled position. The principle apparently is to support the union power structure at the expenxe of significant wage increases and undertake a substantial health risk needlessly. I'll vote with the cult behavior ideas rather than a principled stance.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll vote with the cult behavior ideas rather than a principled stance.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1
Old 11-25-2007, 12:10 PM

Well, if sticking to principle only means sticking to them when it is in your best interest, we're obviously operating with two different version of the word principle.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Well, if sticking to principle only means sticking to them when it is in your best interest, we're obviously operating with two different version of the word principle.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the principle we're sticking to?