Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-17-2007, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Do you want to have children?

Vasectomy FTW.

I'm 29 and have never wanted kids. I have been dating a girl with a kid for just over two years. He's 4 now and I love him to death. I have to admit, when he was 2 it wasn't terribly fun to have him around--he'd fuss, throw tantrums, wake up at inconvenient times, and the language barrier was incredibly frustrating. Over the past two years, though, it's been amazing to watch him grow and learn and change. When we met, he had a vocabulary that consisted of one word--No! Now he's talkative, curious, often funny, and usually a pleasure to be around.

[ QUOTE ]
I think human beings have a responsibility to pursue intellectual outlets and raising a child is pretty much the opposite.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keeping a child alive isn't exactly an intellectual pursuit, but figuring out how to best raise a child and actually pulling that off may be more intellectually challenging than you think.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't follow the reasoning behind: "Children don't interest me." Do people interest you? Because here's a shocker, children are...wait for it...people!

[/ QUOTE ]

People are not a homogeneous group. Some people interest me but most don't. Children are a sub-category of people that simply don't interest me in any way.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:29 PM

Only motive I can think of is to propogate your genes and maybe even your mindset. Eventually we will all die, so at that point it would be nice to know that your genes are winning at least.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:39 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

I can't imagine possibly having kids, but I always thought this was something that changed when you grew older. I think it's likely I'll eventually want (and have) kids.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:43 PM

Id love to have a son
Old 11-17-2007, 01:55 PM

yeah, i want kids eventually. boys, preferably. i think having girls would make me crazy and paranoid.

i am not crazy about most kids, a lot of them irritate me to be honest. so i can't really explain why i want them, but i definitely do. probably a mixture of perverse narcissism and social conditioning i guess.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You make commitments to people and sometimes you have to suck it up and do stuff you don't want to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, like going out to a movie/show/restaurant/... that you have no desire to go to or like traveling cross country to spend a week with her family and go to her sister's wedding.

Not like fathering a child. Having a kid to satisfy your significant other when you have no desire to be a father is (1) prob not going to see the relationship make it much longer anyway, and worse yet, (2) probably gonna work out pretty badly for the kid.

I want to have a couple of kids, I'm not crazy about the silly noises or diapers either (I secretly like the Disney movies), but I very much like the idea of being a family man, and I can think of few things as potentially rewarding, though the loss of freedom is pretty terrifying.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:18 PM

yes, i want to have kids, if only so that i know that i'll have someone to play golf with for the rest of my life.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm 34 and my Gf is 25 and we both are 100% sure we do not want any. I don't see this changing as we age.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I had a chuckle at this.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:32 PM

I'm 23. Can't picture having kids anytime in next 5-7 years, but I definitely want to and I better have sons so that i can train them to become athletic multilingual genius artist musicians.

Agreed that babies don't do it for him and I don't like interacting with them, but I like kids once they hit walking and talking age, and I'm sure this will change when they are mine.

Also, I'm predominantly Irish, but have a little Finnish and Portuguese mixed in there. My gf is 100% italian. It bothers me that if I had kids with her, they would have the largest percentage background of something I'm not.

Does this make me strange?