Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Indian food thread

Dean,

NYC and SF are two places in the US where, while not to London levels, there are tons of Indian places of all ranges from takeout curry shops to nice sitdown places.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:16 PM

El D,

Do you get offended that people think you are an expert on Indian food? They probably also assume you are really good with computers.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turnip - mentioned this above, but Haveli (2nd Ave between 5th & 6th, right by Curry Row) has a delicious saag paneer, and is great overall imo - I used to frequent this place like 98-99 when it first opened. Recently went back last time I was in Manhattan and still really good!

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Haveli was my favorite in nyc for its price and I have probably tried 75% of the Indian places in that area.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Turnip - mentioned this above, but Haveli (2nd Ave between 5th & 6th, right by Curry Row) has a delicious saag paneer, and is great overall imo - I used to frequent this place like 98-99 when it first opened. Recently went back last time I was in Manhattan and still really good!

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Haveli was my favorite in nyc for its price and I have probably tried 75% of the Indian places in that area.

[/ QUOTE ]

So Haveli is the restaurant on Curry Row that you guys would recommend? Any others in the neighborhood that stand out more than the rest? I've been looking for a good place in the East Village area where I can get my Indian Food fix. I've been loath to try any random one, as I wouldn't want to stumble across the bad one of the bunch that are on the Row.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:36 PM

best Indian food in L.A. are Electic Kharma on 3rd St. and Electric Lotus on Vermont in Los Feliz. Both are run by the same people. Great food, great atmosphere. Best Indian food I've ever had.

I'm still looking for a comparable place in Vegas.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So Haveli is the restaurant on Curry Row that you guys would recommend? Any others in the neighborhood that stand out more than the rest? I've been looking for a good place in the East Village area where I can get my Indian Food fix. I've been loath to try any random one, as I wouldn't want to stumble across the bad one of the bunch that are on the Row.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a little more expensive than the others in that area, but it is well worth it IMO.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a little more expensive than the others in that area, but it is well worth it IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Also, Haveli has nicer interior than the other Curry Row / 6th Street places (IIRC), so along with superior food, well worth a slight price premium.

Dom - maybe some other LA people can chime in, but I live like 3 blocks from Electric Lotus, always been disappointed. Maybe it's gone donwhill since you left LA, or just not to my taste. It is though, definitely a cool spot for drinks with nice aesthetic.

Good new place I found (K-Town) is Halal Tandoori - great "benchmark" dishes to borrow from another thread (Tikka Masala etc.) but kind of ghetto inside.

-Al
Old 02-01-2007, 06:00 PM

Phil,

"Do you get offended that people think you are an expert on Indian food? They probably also assume you are really good with computers."

It's only logical for people to think I'm expert on pretty much everything, so no.

What's funnier is that whatever ethnicity you are, I think it's pretty common when you visit a new city to have friends/colleagues there say something like "OMFG, I MUST take you to this INCREDIBLE Mexican/Indian/Korean/Japanese/Chinese/Italian/whatever place you will LOVE it." Like they are gonna really impress someone who grew up on that food with some special restaurant of a level they've never had before. "OMG, WOW, I NEVER REALIZED THIS CUISINE COULD BE QUITE LIKE THIS!!!!"
Old 02-01-2007, 06:01 PM

If any of you are ever in Baltimore and are craving some Indian food, I highly recommend Akbar on N. Charles St. Looks like a hole in the wall from outside, but OMFG, so good.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:12 PM

mia: have you been to Mango Grove in Columbia. All vegetarian but insanely delicious none the less.

All: Is palak paneer the chow mein of indian food? Spicy creamy tomato sauce and big hunks of chese and cauliflower= YUM. But is it too Americanized to be good?

--GA