Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2007, 04:44 PM

Default Any More Value In This Straight?

First orb at table so no reads.

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $3.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) checks, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, CO calls.

River: (11.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls. Final Pot: 15.50 BB

No way I'm raising this river. If Villain had a set I would have expected more action from him on the flop or turn, but if he didn't make a boat would he call a raise anyway? Maybe he would, but I'm not sure. I'm laying 2:1 because a boat is capping. So I just call. Anyone want to try for another bet?
Old 01-20-2007, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Any More Value In This Straight?

[ QUOTE ]
No way I'm raising this river

[/ QUOTE ]

What about this flop? I think not three betting the flop is pretty bad.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:53 PM

That's a pretty tough decision there. Villain is a CO poster who checked preflop, so his range is basically any 2 at this point with no reads. He obviously likes his hand on the flop, and I think we can assign a large part of his range to Qx or better. As you said, on the turn, we should definitely expect more action from a set, especially with UTG trapped in there, unless he is putting you specifically on J9, which nobody can do. That river 2 looks pretty innocuous, so unless he had Q2, it really didn't change anything. I'm thinking more likely is a weirdly played AA/KK who figures he just got ahead of your QT. I'm putting in the 3-bet.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:53 PM

So you're putting him on exactly Q2/T2/82, maybe 88? I think this is a 3-bet because there is just way too much of a chance this guy is a donk making a ridiculous donk raise and then still going to call his donk hand.

BTW, I think not 3-betting the flop is a mistake. There are way too many scare cards that could on the turn that will kill your action. Plus the flop could easily get capped, giving you a chance to get another raise in on a blank turn anyway.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:56 PM

most players really dont check-raise the river and fold to a 3bet, i think any worse hand he did this with (besides a missed draw) sees the showdown, i think you might expect villain to play as well as u far too often.

As a poster its tough to put CO on a better or worse hand hed play this way tho so I probably just call out of mostly confusion.

its probably not a set or overpair raising for value having counterfeited other 2 pairs since he checked preflop and didnt 3bet the flop or turn

i guess we re putting him on like Td2d Q2 and less likely Ad2d or 2dxd( probably wouldnt donk the turn) or some random bluff or value raise with like QT QJ Q9?

i dont think 3betting is good against his likely range since all the better hands do cap you and i doubt u are ahead 2:1 vs all his holdings esp since some portion of the worse hands cant call a 3bet, the missed fd or KJ K9 97 type hands.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:58 PM

I would 3bet the flop in a heartbeat