Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 12:27 PM

Default Stud stats

Hi,

I'm fairly new to 7CS and Im wondering how some decent stats (VP$IP, Raise 3rd STreet etc.) should look like.
I installed PTS and compared my stats to the stats of all players in my database.
Right now I play 1/2 on stars but played FTP and Crypto as well.
Either Im too tight or the other players are way too loose

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
My sample size is way too small but I know I will never get up to Vp$IP about 40. I played tight in Holdem and I want to be tight in Stud as well.
What are the numbers I should aim at? Is anything below 25 too tight?
Who can give me some numbers to look after?
Thank you.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Stud stats

bump
Old 08-09-2007, 03:15 PM

I dont think you can be at 40 VPIP and be a winning player. In a smaller ante game you can play less hands and vice-versa. I am not the tightest player in the world and I hover in the 23-27 range depending on the game. It should probably be less than that if I had better discipline in EP. I don't have my stats in front of me, but i am sure that lower stakes games I have a higher VPIP because I know there is lesser chance of having to play for a completion.

In the crypto games back in the day I was probably around 20-21% in 10/20 and 20/40 games that were more aggressive. Same goes for FT now...I play a lot less hands in the 8/16 game when it goes than I do in 1/2-3/6 games. I am sure I should stay tighter in the lower games too but I get bored which is why, counterintuitively, the bigger the stakes, the higher my BB/100 has historically been [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2007, 04:41 PM

You sound new, you should really be asking yourself "Am I playing the right starting hands?" One of if not the toughest question for 7 card unlike hold em where they print up the starting hands ranks on coasters.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:49 AM

You should make your third-street decisions based on a number of factors, including your cards, the cards that are out, your opponents, how much it costs to play, etc. There is no magic number, although 40% is definitely too high. 25% is probably about right, and I think I'm a little below that if I'm playing well, not that that's come up lately.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:19 PM

Ahh, ok.
So it seems that I'm on the right track.
I was fairly sure that Vpip of 40 is too loose.
If I only play the starting hands which are considered to be "playable", Im between 20 and 25.
I read "42 lessons...by West" which is my guiding line so far.
On more short question: Is it ok to "open bring in"?
Lets say I have a pair of eights with ace kicker. 4 people foldet before me. Should I complete or just call the bring in (with overcards behind me).In Holdem people say u should rarely "open limp". Is this still true in Stud? I never read about that.
Thank you.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:13 PM

No. Raise and hope the overcards get folded. Check/fold at 5th if the overcards are still in the game.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:14 PM

I'm not a fan of the West book. Get 7CS4AP. Assuming you've studied poker some, you should have no difficulty with it.

I open-limp in loose games all the time, both hold'em and stud, but especially stud. In many low-limit games, you have essentially no steal equity, so one of your main incentives for raising is gone. In the specific scenario you ask about, folding, calling, or raising might be correct, depending on the game conditions.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:35 PM

Low pair with A kicker is a great hand to see until fourth. You want to raise because it appears you might get this hand heads up which is what you want. Also on fourth you may want to raise or check raise in the hopes that you'll get a free card on fifth--but there is one major point for this place are your cards live. If not fold this hand.