Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 06:43 PM

Default too much?

live 12-24

UTG is a crazy drunken lagtard on a wicked downward spiral. For the last 30 minutes or so she's been playing nearly every hand and raising most of them. The whole table is watching her as she dumps rack after rack and keeps re-buying. Her basic strategy seems to be to raise and reraise PF without regards to her cards, pump the hell out of the flop if she catches any piece or any draw (sometimes actually folding if she really missed), and then usually just trying to get to showdown with any showdownable hand (probably correctly after she built up such a huge pot).

UTG+1 is also a lagtard, but he's sober and trying to play well. Fortunately, his definition of playing well is really skewed and he also has no discipline. He pretty much plays LAG PF, is semi-aggressive post-flop, and when in any doubt he just calls down to the showdown. He's trying to adjust to UTG but isn't doing a very good job - he basically just gets involved in lots of pots with her, pushes to hard with marginal hands, and cold-calls with trash.

UTG is too drunk to have an image of me, UTG+1 views me as tight and solid, but seems suspicious of me. I haven't capped a hand PF yet at this table (been playing for 3 hours or so).

PF: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG straddles (dead straddle), UTG+1 3-bets, 1 fold, Hero caps, everyone folds to UTG, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 players, 13.5 SB)
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players, 7.5 BB)
UTG+1 checks, Hero bets, UTG+1 calls.

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players, 9.5 BB)
check, check

meh? tl;dr?
Old 08-17-2007, 06:50 PM

Default Re: too much?

Nice hand sir. Although, you might have a case for bluffing the river.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:45 PM

3 barrels please. That pot is pretty damn big and he has played like he has AQ/AK. You need to at least give him a chance to "play well" and make an expert laydown.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:15 PM

fine, but you probably lose unless he has KT,KQ,K7,A7, or A6.
I don't think betting will get AK or AQ fold. Do you think he could fold AK or AQ?
Old 08-17-2007, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think he could fold AK or AQ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really dunno, he'd been calling down with anything and everything, although usually it's something like bottom pair. I don't think I'd seen him call down and turn over A high, but then again he'd just muck it when he saw a better hand.

UTG+1 was Ten, btw, and UTG was Ga Ga in rare drunken form.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:31 PM

I think you answered your own question. There's nothing you can do to win this hand.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:35 PM

As the biggest nit at the table and a "dangerous player", his calling range might be tighter against you. Like middleish pair or better. On the other hand, it might not. Judgement call.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3 barrels please.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-18-2007, 12:34 AM

Pot is big enough for one more barrel given your good image. If you're called and they see your bluff you will get paid off for the next million pots on the way to valuetown.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:23 AM

the only reason for capping pre flop is if you think you're ahead of villains range, therefore, it doesn't make sense to just assume villain has AQ/AK here, those should make up only a very small portion of his range

given OP's description of villain I also doubt he will ever fold a pair in this spot, so I think 3-barreling is spew

we have position and should use it to our advantage, either by betting turn and checking river or checking turn with the intent to call a river bet, both lines have their merits

in doing so, we invest 1bb to win 8.5bb instead of 2bb to win 8.5bb, which is a big difference

knowing villain has a wide range, we shouldn't lose too often to AK/AQ which we might not fold out anyway and knowing villain is the type of player who goes into call down mode when in doubt, chances are he won't fold a pair either

I'd play it the same way as OP did and check behind on the river