Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2007, 08:34 PM

Default Re: Personality and overall attractiveness

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but I am REALLY attracted to her largely because she just seems really cool and fun and obviously doesn't take herself too seriously. If she starts at a 6, I'd say this little clip makes her as attractive to me as a "normal" 8.5. So she gets 2.5 points for being awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand how her acting the part of someone lipsynching with almost no emotion makes her seem "cool," "fun" and "awesome" to you. I would have just given her a 7.5 or 8 from the start and been done with it.

P.S. I assume you do realize that your projection onto her of all of the above characteristics really has nothing to do with the title of your thread, since I further assume that you don't know anything about her actual personality.

[/ QUOTE ]
I specifically pointed out somewhere mid thread that I was talking about instances of things that give you tiny snippets of someone's personality. I think I gave an example of a girl singing kareoke. So yes, I understand I don't actually know anything about her. That was largely the point but I didn't explain it very well in the OP.

As far as the title, whatever dude. It's not like I called it "new dog food brand!" I don't think anyone was especially confused by the content given the title. So as far as I'm concerned it's all good.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you don't think that looks like just about the coolest place in the world to work I think we have very different world views. Regardless, pick some chick who's doing something you like. If you think cutting your wrists is a good time then pretend she's doing that I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree it looks like a cool place to work but it also reminds me why dot com businesses typically fail. I guess they learned nothing from the dot com bubble.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not why dot com businesses typically fail. It's not even close.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:06 PM

a hot girl with a bad personality stands more to lose then an ugly girl with a good personality stands to gain.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:13 PM

btw, that girl is cute. i can still see giving her a 6 because she is not really hot, but still she is cute.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:35 PM

I know a few girls who are cute but I find hot/very attractive because of their personality.

while personality doesn't affect how hott I think a chick is in a negative way, it will affect how I feel about her(as in I will admit she is hot, but I will not be attracted to her)
Old 05-06-2007, 09:55 PM

Ok, I really REALLY feel I need to interject here. A lot of this may be opinion, but its logical, well thought out over the years, and entertaining.. so hey, feel free to discuss.

First, looks and personality, while both combining to form your overall opinion of a girl (I'm a guy, I'm writing it from that point of view), are not BOTH on the scale. The numerical scale is for looks; IMO, personality is not on a scale.. it's much more subjective than looks, and as such its in the eye of the beholder.

The bottom line is, looks and personality cannot be on the same scale because without an initial physical attraction on some level, personality means nothing. For instance, upon seeing a girl, I put them in the 'yes/no for sex' category right away, regardless of their rating. I can be much more attracted to a 7 than an 8.5 based on personality (see explanation of my ratings below), but nonetheless, the 8.5 is still hotter, even though my overall view of the girls has changed.

I'd like to think the 1-10 scale is objective (within maybe a point or two based on some personal tastes), because there are general features that are simply attractive in women in the eyes of men, and some that aren't.

My scale works a lot like imdb.com's movie rating scale, and I do in fact use decimals because I think there is a great deal of clustering. I barely ever EVER give out a 10, a 9+ is rather rare, 8+ is a very hot girl, and 7 is a typical attractive girl that is very much dateable for me. Typical attractive girls you'd see on a daily basis fit between 6.5 and 8, with ones approaching 8 and above truly standing out (much like really good movies). Anything between 5.5 and 6 is questionable for me personally, but as has been discussed, personality can make someone worthy of pursuit.

The scale must be kept entirely seperate from personality so that any girl may be placed on the scale and can subsequently be discussed without the need for all parties involved to have met her. "She was an 8" should mean something. From that point on, her personality can be explained, but there's simply no way to add that to the scale because men are attracted to different traits; personality is also much more complex than looks. The Scale (yes, it is capitalized from hence forth) is the starting point and basis for all disucssion regarding females.

That's my $0.02
Old 05-06-2007, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The numerical scale is for looks; IMO, personality is not on a scale

[/ QUOTE ]
Dude come on, this is just stupid.

As for the rest of your post, a lot of that is pretty poorly thought out as well. It really seems like you didn't even read the OP. Why are you explaining that there is a place for just rating a girl's physical appearance? Even in the OP I specifically said "this girl is a 6" or whatever. Saying that I can't take into account personality/some observation and make up a new number to reflect it just makes no sense to me.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
btw, that girl is cute. i can still see giving her a 6 because she is not really hot, but still she is cute.

[/ QUOTE ]

I pretty sure I would do her silly.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:13 PM

I don't disagree with the OP at all, except when trying to put a number on a personality, thus allowing a rating to jump all over the place. It's very difficult to discuss that on any level that isn't grossly subjective (of course, that's why its makes for such a good conversation, because it is personality concrete). Looks, on the other hand, are much more simple, and a universal way to discuss them I feel is in order.

Please take everything with a grain of salt, there's no need to get upset here. I do not feel that it is "stupid", as you say, to believe that a rating system that can just jump around randomly based on your own changing feelings and experiences with her is not a great way to asess a woman on a numberical scale.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think what's confusing is the double entendre of "attractive".

I think it would be easier if you said "that girl in the video is only marginally attractive to me, but her awesome personality makes her very appealing to me"

[/ QUOTE ]

This is much easier to separate out when you haven't seen the girl much or know her well. You still have your "meh" to get over, hanging around in the back of her mind, and you haven't had too much time to stew on how awesome she is yet. Next time you see her, that feeling that she is awesome will be there right from the start and make her look prettier immediately. At least that's how it is with me. I remember the awesome and forget the "meh" re: looks.

After a while, you might see an average or worse girl from an unexpected angle, or not know from behind that it's her or whatever, and suddenly be shocked when you process that it's that girl you find so attractive. Then sometimes you have to work off the "meh" factor for a while and reflect on how strange it is that your perceptions can be fooled. But perceptions aren't reality; there's always an "I" doing the perceiving, filtering everything. Including making very average girls look pretty cute.