Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Official August Sales Numbers (360 surges, PS3 plummets, Wii remai

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is pretty interesting that the Wii, in spite of now holding the #1 console slot, is not moving that many games. I guess a lot of people [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] tennis and stick w/ that, or else the novelty is wearing off on some people.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean the Wii is not moving many games? Only Bioshock beat it! I mean Madden doesn't count as it automatically goes to #1 when it comes out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess, but Madden on even the PS3 outsold Wii's Madden by at least triple and sold about as many copies as Metriod Prime 3 and Mario Strikers Charged combined.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:19 PM

Even more suprising is that the original XBox Madden outsold the Wii's Madden. It will be very interesting to see how games like Wii Fit do.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:38 PM

Surprised that Guitar Hero is still doing so well. The SKU with the guitar is nearly a year old and is still a top 10 seller.

BTW, what's the source of this info?
Old 09-17-2007, 12:50 PM

Ahhh, can't believe I forgot to mention that in the OP. These are the official NPD numbers.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even more suprising is that the original XBox Madden outsold the Wii's Madden. It will be very interesting to see how games like Wii Fit do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that is surprising. This could be pretty grim for 3rd party support of Wii games. If the big grade A first-party exclusives aren't tremendously even on a console that's the #1 seller, you have to wonder how much effort they're going to put into ports or 3rd party Wii exclusives. Nintendo may be printing money by selling the consoles, but Microsoft may actually be the big winner for this generation. IIRC, the games tend to be where the bulk of profits come from, so Microsoft, by capturing the hardcore gamer market, captured the market that, you know, actually buys games. Nintendo has had plenty of success selling Wiis to people who own a 360 and/or a PS3, but those people seem to want to buy a title for either the PS3 or the 360 and NOT the Wii if they have the choice for a given game that's ported to all 3. For the people who own only a Wii, they're just not into buying dozens of games, or hardly any at all.

I think things will get interesting when we start seeing sales numbers for Halo 3 vs. Smash Bros. Metroid Prime 3 and Bioshock were big titles, but they pale in comparison to those first two. I'd kinda expect Halo 3 to win that battle, which is a real coup for Microsoft. If they can have the #2 console but still sell the most games, who cares if they have the #2 console? Any software developer would be most interested in supporting the 360 primarily, and tossing in Wii or PS3 support if it can be done cheaply.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:29 PM

Mr Wookie,

Really good post.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:43 PM

Of the top 10 selling games, 4 are Wii titles. Yes, Madden is selling poorly for the Wii, but still, that's twice as many titles in the top 10 as the 360.

Why are people in this thread saying Wii games aren't selling?
Old 09-17-2007, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of the top 10 selling games, 4 are Wii titles. Yes, Madden is selling poorly for the Wii, but still, that's twice as many titles in the top 10 as the 360.

Why are people in this thread saying Wii games aren't selling?

[/ QUOTE ]

The first-party titles are selling; the third-party titles aren't. The four Wii titles in the Top Ten are all first-party titles.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:24 PM

Wouldn't a better comparison be Mario Galaxy and Halo 3? Or is Brawl expected to outsell Mario?
Old 09-18-2007, 06:44 AM

Default Re: Official August Sales Numbers (360 surges, PS3 plummets, Wii remains)

id be very wary of trying to use madden in any kind of forecasting of future wii 3rd party titles, its kind of a special case/cultural phenomenon. im pretty sure video games companies arent basing whether or not they want to develop games for the wii on how well madden sells for it