Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 11:01 PM

Default Half the table to the flop w AK, flopped ace played weak, this ok?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

MP3 (t1500)
Hero (t1480)
Button (t1300)
SB (t1480)
BB (t60)
UTG (t3220)
UTG+1 (t1500)
MP1 (t1500)
MP2 (t1460)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls t20, UTG+1 calls t20, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t100</font>, Button calls t100, SB calls t90, BB calls t40 (All-In), UTG calls t80, UTG+1 calls t80.

Flop: (t560) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players, 1 all-in)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t200</font>, SB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls t200, Hero folds.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:15 AM

Default Re: Half the table to the flop w AK, flopped ace played weak, this ok?

WTF????
you didnt check fold here, did you?
Could you please conti bet this as usual with like 250 and mabey with a strong read fold to a raise here.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:10 AM

i have a feeling this is about to get flamed
Old 07-11-2007, 01:59 AM

Raise to 120 preflop if you have heaps of limpers on the table. on the flop bet about 3/4 of the pot. i woulde even call a shove.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:07 AM

Is this HH an error or something. Check/fold TPTK in a multiway pot. WTF?!

Bet the pot. Call a shove.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:23 AM

Um...you do realise you have AK here right? You got to bet this flop, maybe fold to a re-raise...but only with a good read.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:32 AM

I've seen much worse posts than this check fold so don't think he deserves the hate. Theres a lot of players on the flop, increasing the chances he's behind to a straight or 2 pair.

That said, in a 4/180 (assuming thats the tourney), at this blind level, I'm always betting this flop and going all in to a reraise.

Sometimes players will have you beat, but not often, this situation is very +eV if you get your chips in.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:42 AM

IŽll try to be objective, which is hard enough - regarding the original post. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

No, just kidding ...

A made straight is rather - for not to say complete -unlikely. Why? The board is two-suited, would anyone slowplay his straight here, giving a freecard to five opponents? A two-pair is even more unlikely - for the same reason. Button could bet any Ace and any J here to evaluate where he stands. If somebody just calls, it is nearly certain that he is against a draw.

Said this - I assume OP to be ahead! A push would be the only clear reaction imho - to punish any drawing hands by the hardest.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:18 AM

I am glad I don't play this bad.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:23 AM

I agree with everyone here that check/folding this flop is a mistake. Please bet this flop. Yes, you're going to be up against someone with KJ/two pair sometimes, and you must get pot stuck if they get trappy on you -- and you're going to get drawn out on alot, but it's still +EV spot for you, so bet.

Also, you should raise more preflop, because you don't want to play AK multi-way like this. Yes, it sucks to stick in a healthy raise like 150-175 pf after the two limps, whiff the flop, then end up having to dump, but that's better than playing this six handed. You'll have a lot more options if you get this heads-up or three handed than you do now, where you're six handed. AKo does not play well multi-way.

Also, UTG looks like he just stacked BB, is probably feeling confident, and is probably limping with a huge range because he's got that "I just doubled up early, I've got 100 BB and double what anyone else at my table has, I'm invincible" feeling going. I'd want to get him isolated if possible. He's probably calling alot of overbets preflop here, so while raising to something like 160 PF might seem like overkill, I suspect it's probably very profitable. You should look at the hand history and see how donkified UTG's play was when he doubled up against the BB. If it was a weak/bad play, this is the guy you want to target.