Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2007, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Table selection

Yeah sorry I should've specified that I meant the 1/2 games
Old 05-06-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you can get a table full of LP's as you described, it's time to wake up and stop dreaming

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously don't play at stars.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:27 PM

One think I hate with opening new tables is that if teh first player is teh fish (wish is most of the TIme) they seem to always to sit themselves on to your right or to yout opp so that when the games fill up you never have good pos on the fishies
Old 05-06-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One think I hate with opening new tables is that if teh first player is teh fish (wish is most of the TIme) they seem to always to sit themselves on to your right or to yout opp so that when the games fill up you never have good pos on the fishies

[/ QUOTE ]

I want the fish to my right.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. A lot of times I will just start a table. This is the easiest way to avoid having TAGs in your game, as most of them table select by watching the % to the Flop. You may have to play HU in a not so profitable situation for a bit, but it usually evens itself out when the table fills up with Loose Passives.

2. I never sit down to a game with more than 1 TAG at it, and I usually won't stay in a game where more than 1 TAG eventually show up. In order for me to stay I have to have position on the the entire Loose Passive field and they have to be juicy.

3. I will sit in a game with 1 TAG depending on the conditions:
-Will the TAG play back at Aggressive players? If he doesn't this is optimal and I want him on my left. I cut off all his action from other players and my blind steals and isolation raises have a higher chance of succeeding. If he will play back at me I want him as far away from me as possible, usually right across the table.
-Is the TAG the aggressive sort? More of a LAG? Then you definitely want him to your right. Having him on your left puts you in too many weird spots Post-Flop. You also want to be experienced in his play and take as many notes as possible as to his aggressive tendencies.

3. Feel free to watch a table before sitting down. Your looking for more than 2 people seeing the Flop, a lot of calling instead of raising, and sometimes the amount of pots being taken down without a showdown. You can also sit out at the table and watch what is going on before deciding to post and play.

4.When deciding to put yourself on a wait list, actually go to the table. Look for anybody short-stacked or sitting out. Decide whether or not this would be a good seat before putting yourself on the list.

5. When you join a table that is filling up, have all the remaining empty seats on your Right. This way no matter what sort of player sits down you will have some sort of positional advantage on them while you re-evaluate the table conditions.

6. Tables change quickly, and 6max tables change drastically when 1 player leaves and is replaced by another. Always be vigilant and ready to move.

7. Don't sit on my right.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good stuff in general.

One thing tho. Not sitting with TAGs makes it difficult to ever play higher than 3/6. Of course you should leave a table with 1 fish and 4 TAG's if you can find tables with 5 fish. However, when you play higher stakes where the rake matters less and the fish are few, just finding that one fish and have position on him is profitable. At 1/2 I doubt that your edge over 1 fish and 4 TAGs is enough to beat the rake. At 10/20 it definetely is.

Also. It is important that the players to your left are fairly "bad" TAGs that doesnt adjust properly. Having a good LAG/TAG to your left is devastating as he wont let you isolate the fish.

Finally I want to say agian. Site selection >>>>>>>>> table selection. Dont play small stakes without good rb/bonus/VIP value.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I want the fish to my right.

[/ QUOTE ]

i obv ment left
Old 05-06-2007, 06:58 PM

best advice is learn how to play HU well enough that you can survive starting a table. The true donks love to sit down with 10BB or less HU and just try to double up or bust out. If you have some good notes and stats you can identify whether the next few people are fish or sharks when they sit down, and decide whether to stay at a table. Quite often I am able to relieve a donk of 5-8BBs in the dozen or so hands before the rest of the table fills in, and if it looks too tight and taggish I just get up and start a new table.

the fish hate to wait to play, they just want to sit down and gamble. they are going to head for the open tables, and having a new table with open seats to your right is always nice.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:01 AM

I was lucky enough to experience one of these LP gold mines today for about 45 min (+35BB)

I have Pa hud, there was alot of green.....so much green.

Star player was 62.45/ 2.0 /0.5/ over 90 hands.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:07 AM

mmmmm... fishcakes

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP folds.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (11.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 21.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has 7d Kc (straight, ten high).
BB has 7h 6h (straight, ten high).
Hero has Qd Jd (straight, king high).
Outcome: Hero wins 21.50 BB. </font>
Old 05-07-2007, 12:18 AM

nice&lt; id raise that pre btw because its suited