Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 11-30-2007, 06:37 PM

Default smp posters, do you do well in poker?

Not sure if this thread will get anywhere, but i am curious to find out how well smp posters do in poker.
Perhaps you can talk about how long you have played the game and what your biggest obstacles have been through your development.
In what way did you tackle poker? Did you manage to beat the game easily? What type of poker do you play, what limits, and perhaps rate yourself and the success that you have had.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:59 PM

Default Re: smp posters, do you do well in poker?

I've played NLTHE for a few years... starting at .01/.02 and never going higher then .25/.50 tables.

I've made about $4000 profit from poker which, isn't much considering how many years I've been playing, but its made me happy.

I've played every kind of online poker available on Stars and Full Tilt. I enjoy the Omaha variations a lot though I've never been as good.

My biggest obstacle is that I'm naturally nitty.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:01 PM

I've made a living from poker for the last 9 years. How good am I? Well, I'm not broke yet! -lol
Old 11-30-2007, 07:29 PM

Been playing online for 3 years.... around 15k in winnings. Nothing to brag about but it has helped with my tuition which is kind of funny because my biggest obstacle is school because I can't play nearly as many hands as I want/need to
Old 11-30-2007, 07:38 PM

Just to address the balance, I am a losing player online. I am down $356 this calander year. I obviously am subsidised from my live play, but I think you will be replied to from a disproportionately high # of winning players.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:46 PM

I started playing online around 2003. I played middle/low buy-in sng's as my sole source of income for a couple years after college, but got sick of it toward the end when I figured out what I want to do with my life. I rarely play online that much any more, but when I do I most like playing stud hi/lo and omaha hi/lo.

I really don't know how some of you guys can play online for a living for more than a few years. I don't really tilt that much, but my mood gets way too tied up in my bankroll swings. It just wasn't healthy.

Anyway, I wouldn't say I'm very good at poker although I still consider myself good enough to be able to use it to pay rent and feed myself if necessary. The hardest thing for me is sustaining concentration for more than a couple hours at a time. I just don't want to play that much anymore, and I play poorly when I get bored so I just stop.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:52 PM

I dont play much any more but made a living playing 2/4NL online and 2/5 and 5/10 NL live for a few years. Well, make a living is maybe a bit grandiose since I was a student, but paid for bills and clothes and beer and toys. I dont play really at all any more but thats because I dont have any time to study, make 9000 posts on 2p2 and STILL play poker. I think my hiatus will last at least about 6 or 7 years, and we'll see if I feel like taking it back up as a hobby after that. I doubt it.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:27 PM

I'm not an SMP poster but I have took to reading/lurking the forums very frequently in this past month.

I'm still learning to play poker right now. I'm only 21 and have been playing for just 2 years. Though I see it as a hobby, my natural competitive instinct has made me win about £500. It's just been little things like making requirements for bonuses and then doubling/trebling them with calculated risks (playing fast in 0.10/0.25 games with $25, say. Nothing reckless, just gambles with money that wasn't mine to begin with). I also placed well in some freerolls and small stakes MTTs as well as grinding the micro-stakes NL ring games when I can be bothered.

Basically, I'm too poor to set up any kind of bankroll; if I win some, I cash out. I can't afford variance swings. Since I get bored anyway (I really couldn't play for a living, even if I was the best player ever) I tend to play so that I never play scared money. What I'm trying to say is that the frequency and stakes that I play at make it affordable to be a loser. But if I was a loser for too long, I'd stop, because I like to win not lose. I still give myself a chance to win some though.

Bah, can you tell it is 3:30am and I've had some drinks?
Old 11-30-2007, 11:43 PM

i've been playing about a year and a half, but past few months have been on a break (due to school not a downswing). until this i was playing 400nl successfully