Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community

Old 11-26-2007, 06:03 PM

Default Re: APPT Macau Trip Report part 1, The New Sin City

[ QUOTE ]
Some men see a moral dilemma in paying women for sex. I see a mathematical one. The fact is, if you break down that wall, if you go there once, you’re not going to stop. Paying for sex can be a difficult habit to break, and there’s a good reason for it, if you’re not interested in much outside sex it makes perfect mathematical sense. Watch this:

Spending a night with a Macau hooker runs at 500 HK a night. That works out to about $60 USD. It takes as long or as short as you like, but the finding of a woman and negotiation of a price takes only minutes. Every poker player knows time is money. The time sacrifice with a hooker is next to nothing, and the total monetary expenditure (in this case) is $60.

Now, what about with a normal woman? There’s no concrete cost, but most men can agree it’ll end up being larger than $60 dollars. Even if you don’t pay anything for her, the money you spend in activities with her (drinks, dinner, movie, whatever) will likely amount to over $60. But what about success rate? No guy has a 100% success rate, and normal guys who have some level of connection with a woman might bat around .300, about 30%. For some this will be somewhat higher, for many substantially lower. Now, how many hours will it take to get a normal woman in bed? Again, we can’t be concrete, but say you spend a night out with friends or together or whatever, having that number be in multiple hours is of course quite common. Let’s put an average at 3. In my case an hour of my time is worth about ~$150 USD, depending on how many tables I’m playing. Look how the numbers break down:
Prostitute:
Time (opportunity) cost: ~5 minutes ($7.50)
Monetary cost: ~$60
Success rate: 100%
Average cost for sex: $67.50

Normal woman:
Time (opportunity) cost: ~3 hours ($450)
Monetary Cost: >$60
Success rate: 30%
Average cost for sex: ~$1,480

End result: On average, cost with a woman, per sexual encounter costs you (well, in this case, me) over $1,400 more with the normal woman. You’ll also get to do whatever you want with no consideration as to your performance. Then again, if you’re after something more, this is all pretty useless, isn’t it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to get too sidetracked from a excellent, entertaining post but do you look at everything you do in terms of opportunity cost of lost poker earnings? For example do you consider that at $150 rate per hour, those 11 hours you slept in the hotel actually cost you $1650. The flight from Sydney to Macau cost an additional $1350 over and above the ticket itself. If you paid $100 to go to see a great concert that lasted 2 hours and took an hour to drive to and from the venue would you consider that concert ticket to actually cost you $700? Or is just women and sex? If so, seems strange to assume that for every activity you do in life that the only alternative would be that you would be playing poker at that time instead.

I'd be very interested to find out how many other players approach their day-to-day decisions the same way Bond does. I guess a big factor is how successful you are at the tables.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:31 PM

Default Re: APPT Macau Trip Report part 1, The New Sin City

Er Bond is just a poker geek. Period. I remember a night out a couple of years ago at the strippers, im trying to concentrate on [censored] and he's asking me if id check raise AQ on a low flop.