Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 10:59 AM

Default Re: looking to get a small house dog

[ QUOTE ]
We are still undecided as in we are trying to figure out a way to make it work where we could take the dog traveling with us, etc etc. Clearly we hope to not leave the dog alone for long periods of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear god man, give it up. I'm sure your gf is leaning pretty hard on you and you're cracking like one of those dads on MTVs super sweet sixteen, but damn.

So instead of leaving it in a kennel for 4 months, you are going to drag some small yappy dog all over the globe, dealing with the hassles of paperwork and international flights, potential quarantines, the dog never having a stable environment, etc.

grow a sack, tell your gf no, and move on.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:55 AM

mini pugs: http://www.puppiesforsalebynet.com/pug.htm
Old 11-22-2007, 01:03 PM

If you're going to be gone 4 months of the year, don't get a dog. Also, never buy a dog from a pet shop. These dogs come from "puppy mills", breeders whose sole objective is to crank out as many puppies as they can without regard to quality, and they often keep their breeding stock and puppies under horrible conditions. If you want a purebred, you should get one from a quality breeder. It will cost more, but the pet shop dog is likely to cost you far more in vet bills (and heartbreak) than one from a breeder. Better yet, get a mutt from the shelter. Mutts and crossbreeds are generally healthier than purebreds. Even purebreds from good breeders are highly inbred, and prone to genetic problems.

But again, if you are going to board the dog 4 months of the year, don't get one.

Barking and shedding come with territory (although some breeds, such as poodles, shed very little). Barking can be controlled with training, but not completely eliminated.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
meh, Jimmy's going to get a corgi I think [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
and probably saddle me with it when he moves.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm about 99% positive I was the one who made him love corgis.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
meh, Jimmy's going to get a corgi I think [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks alot. He's on the phone with a lady about one right now. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I really am not crazy about this.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks alot. He's on the phone with a lady about one right now. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I really am not crazy about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

We used to chat on AIM quite a bit back in my poker days. I have a corgi named "Penny" and I promise you that the corgi he gets will be a blessing.

Corgis are small lap dogs that are highly intelligent. I know everyone says their dogs have the best personality, but corgis truly have amazing personalities. They aren't aggressive, they only bark when protecting the home, and they are herding dogs - so you don't have to worry about them running away.

You won't be disappointed.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:40 PM

My girlfriend found this dog back in June about to be thrown into a ditch by some punk kids. She was a couple months old and was 2 pounds and covered in fleas. So we got her for "free" but I've spent already close to $2,000 on her since June. $800 for a week of training. $400 for our apartment deposit. $350 for her spay procedure so she didn't bleed all over the apartment. She's been sick a couple times so probably $200 there for vet visits. $60 for a kennel. Plus food, bones, collars, toys, medicine, etc.

But she's been a blast and we adore her. This pic is really old. She's 33 pounds now.

So keep in mind if you spend money to get a dog, you will spend more money on other stuff you can't foresee. But like I said, she's been a blast and I love coming home to her everyday. She loves people and we really enjoy taking her to the dog park on the weekend to mingle with the other doggies.

Sascha:
[image][/image]
Old 11-22-2007, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're gone that much, don't get a dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah tyhats awful.

also $25 a day seems reaaaaaaaaaly cheap. i am paying like $130 a day for my two guys over xmas...they are in the indoor park all day with other little guys and get nap time, and there own room with a small TV with sound on. for 25 it sounds like you will be getting a cage.

really, dont do it...thats just mean to the dog (being away so much).
Old 11-22-2007, 08:52 PM

also don't buy from a place that supports puppy mills. look for local people selling pups and go to the house to make sure they are taking care of the pups. also make sure to see the parents...if they are insane acting so will your dog be.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We are still undecided as in we are trying to figure out a way to make it work where we could take the dog traveling with us, etc etc. Clearly we hope to not leave the dog alone for long periods of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear god man, give it up. I'm sure your gf is leaning pretty hard on you and you're cracking like one of those dads on MTVs super sweet sixteen, but damn.

So instead of leaving it in a kennel for 4 months, you are going to drag some small yappy dog all over the globe, dealing with the hassles of paperwork and international flights, potential quarantines, the dog never having a stable environment, etc.

grow a sack, tell your gf no, and move on.

[/ QUOTE ]

noah you are batting like 1000 lately. maybe my new favorite poster.