Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-04-2007, 02:06 AM

Default Re: Heisman Rankings

What can I say? He's played better than McFadden has this season. He almost had more total yards than McFadden going into today (993-863) despite having about half as many carries.

I know McFadden had a monster game against South Carolina tonight and that's why I moved him into the Top 5, but even tonight Jones had a better average. The fact that Jones had 6 carries for 42 yards when McFadden and 17 carries for 43 in the game that cost Arkansas a chance to win the SEC West affected my decision too.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:09 AM

No but what im saying is that Jones would not be what he is right now if Mcfadden wasnt there. We use jones almost like Florida uses Percy Harvin or something along those lines. Defenses have to focus alot more on Mcfadden so Felix gets to pick up alot more yards.

If you reverse their roles and Jones played more the typical between the tackles role, Mcfadden's YPC average would be really sick also.

This all being said they are 2 of the top three backs in college football and thank god we have them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2007, 02:18 AM

I get that it's a lot easier to gain yards off of misdirection than to be the feature back and if they were maybe 2.5 YPC apart, I'd still give the nod to McFadden, but Felix Jones's numbers have been so ridiculous this year, I feel like he deserves the spot as the top back of the college football season. You can't really compare him to a receiver that runs end arounds when he gets the ball enough to be ranked in the Top 30 in the nation in rushing yards.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:24 AM

I can buy Dixon or Ryan above McFadden; but no other RB's should even be mentioned before him. Mike Hart is a good running back; but Darren McFadden is a top three to top five pick in the draft. He's the best running back the SEC has had since Bo Jackson.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I get that it's a lot easier to gain yards off of misdirection than to be the feature back and if they were maybe 2.5 YPC apart, I'd still give the nod to McFadden, but Felix Jones's numbers have been so ridiculous this year, I feel like he deserves the spot as the top back of the college football season. You can't really compare him to a receiver that runs end arounds when he gets the ball enough to be ranked in the Top 30 in the nation in rushing yards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually you can because he gets a lot of carries when McFadden is lined up as the QB. The LB's have to choose whether to stay home to defend McFadden or chase Jones when he runs outside.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:28 AM

i hereby nominate Chris Wells of Ohio state to be included in the top ten. stud running back. approaching 6 yds/carry that's better than hart but not stewart-like. very likely to be the best of the bunch at the next level. compared to adrian peterson. 6'1" 235, fast, super quick feet

here's hoping it happens next year. any of you hear of brandon saine? next year OSU will have the best combo of RB's in the nation, unfortunately no qb
Old 11-04-2007, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually you can because he gets a lot of carries when McFadden is lined up as the QB. The LB's have to choose whether to stay home to defend McFadden or chase Jones when he runs outside.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you think this benefits McFadden too? I'm sure that being able to fake to someone averaging close to 10 YPC opens up a lot of holes on the second level. The point is that Jones carries the ball enough that it's not really a "surprise" when they give it to him. He gets about 60% of the carries that McFadden does.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i hereby nominate Chris Wells of Ohio state to be included in the top ten. stud running back. approaching 6 yds/carry that's better than hart but not stewart-like. very likely to be the best of the bunch at the next level. compared to adrian peterson. 6'1" 235, fast, super quick feet

[/ QUOTE ]

Darren McFadden will be the best of this bunch at the next level and it's not even close.

[ QUOTE ]

Don't you think this benefits McFadden too? I'm sure that being able to fake to someone averaging close to 10 YPC opens up a lot of holes on the second level. The point is that Jones carries the ball enough that it's not really a "surprise" when they give it to him. He gets about 60% of the carries that McFadden does.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good point; but most of the time the defense does stay home on McFadden. It's definitely subjective; but I think McFadden contributes a lot more to Jones YPC average than vice versa.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:39 AM

yeah iggy you give some very good arguments. Ill meet ya somewhere in the middle [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

And to guy talking up Chris Wells that much, come on man :P
Old 11-04-2007, 02:45 AM

1) Dixon

2)Some other guys