Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 10-29-2007, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Do you think dogs get lonely?

[ QUOTE ]
My problem is that I'm tempted to ignore everyone's sound advice about researching breed temperament and go buy a dog based on looks. I know this sounds stupid but I just really want a cool looking dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would work fine if you were say a stay at home mom who could spend all day with the dog. But for someone like you this is a really, really, REALLY bad idea. I'm sure you'll be able to find an awesome dog with a great disposition. Don't allow yourself to impulse purchase a dog. I can only echo the thoughts of others when I say they take a lot of work, effort, care, and love to keep happy. And it is well worth it.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My problem is that I'm tempted to ignore everyone's sound advice about researching breed temperament and go buy a dog based on looks. I know this sounds stupid but I just really want a cool looking dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it may be hard, but please don't do this. Shelters are full of dogs that looked cool but were too much for their new owners to handle. There are a lot of cool looking dogs that are probably a good fit for your circumstances, but it just takes a little research.
I have a whole list of dog breeds that I would love to have for various reasons, but so many are not a good fit due to room, size, grooming requirements, not kid friendly (a major one with 2 young children runninng around), energy level, etc., etc.

Try www.petfinder.com

It might be a good start. It will give you information on various shelters in your area, including specific breed rescue shelters. I used it pretty extensively earlier in the year with our new addition.

Oh, don't rule out a puppy yet. Yes, they take some time and effort (There is a really good reason they're cute-so you don't kill them when the little demons have chewed up your best pair of shoes that you forgot to pick up off the floor or is excavating under your house and looks up at you with puppy eyes and a dirt covered face, wagging his/her tail and so very proud...Should I go on? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) but it can be worth it. They will repay you a milion times over by making you laugh and give you undying love and affection. You haven't lived until you've owned a puppy. At least that is what I've told my wife. She has had her doubts at times over the last few months though.
Good Luck. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2007, 02:03 PM

I'd also add, don't kid yourself about how much of a commitment you will make to grooming. Knots in animal fur can be painful and even start to tear out the skin! Matted hair is really hard to remove. Knots and mats can snowball too, starting in the morning and becoming a giant painful tangle by evening that takes a good while and a very cooperative dog to cut out. You really have to be all over the grooming if you don't want your long-haired dog to be in trouble. For that reason, I think a long-haired dog is too much trouble for most people and would recommend against it. Don't get too carried away by the looks, Katey! Be practical! You should still be able to find plenty of beautiful, great dogs if you stay practical.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:09 PM

Here's 2 pictures of our little demon. These were taken during the summer.
Don't worry, she's not roling down the stairs in the wagon picture. She's just drinking some water and rolled part way down the stairs and the wagon got stuck, not that it bothered her any.

Unfortunately, she does not look near as cute now. She has a case of mange(the non-contagious kind thankfully) and is missing some hair around her left eye. We've nicknamed her Patch. The vet is treating her and it does not seem to be getting any worse. Hopefully it will grow back and she'll be cute again.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:58 PM

If you are having trouble with a dog pulling while you are walking them get a pinch colllar. They are amazing. They are also much better than choke collars because those can hurt the dogs throats.

That is what I used to get my dog to walk beside me. I would use it and always make her stay on my right ( im right handed) Then I would take it off and she would walk by my side. If she started to walk away I would put it back on her. Eventually she just always would stay by my side.

I am lucky she never was really interested in other dogs. She just doesnt care that much about having them around.

I also used bell training for potty training. I got a set of bells that I would hang on my door. Every time I would take my dog out I would ring the bell before I went out the door. Eventually, when she has to use the bathroom she will come up and ring the bell with her nose.

It works really well because you can hear it in other rooms. You have to be careful though because they know the bell means go outside so she will ring it sometimes just to go out.

Puppy's are a ton of trouble. If you like to go out alot and stay gone I would not get a dog unless you have a big yard they can play in. It's not fair to keep them cooped up inside all day. Especially high energy dogs.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:31 PM

yeah my dog also slept in his crate every night for the longest time. i tell him "go to your house" and he goes right in. lately i bought him one of those doggy beds though and he sleeps in my room. had occasional accidents in the beginning but everything has been fine for a while now.

here are some recent pics:

Old 10-30-2007, 08:45 AM

He's awesome Daryn. I just want to kiss his cute face. Boxers have gorgeous coats. Love that beautiful tan color. (He looks like a well behaved dog too!)
Old 10-30-2007, 10:56 AM

sharkbitten,

Nice dog. Here's Sam, grinning like usual:

She looks a bit dirty because Luke had been chewing on her head.

I love when these things turn into dog picture threads.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:04 PM

RunDownHouse and Sharkbitten have very cute dogs (love the wagon pic [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]).

Please post more dog pics everyone!
Old 10-30-2007, 12:33 PM

Heh, Sam looks just great! I love him already.