Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 10-16-2007, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Farha on Omaha - Anybody read it yet?

[ QUOTE ]
If it has a TJ Cloutier feel to it, I am staying away.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an awesome feel imo. It's like instead of dictating stuff to a real writer and having them put it together cogently, a semi-literate talks into a tape recorder and then hands it to a secretary. And then there is no editor.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:21 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty sure I can avoid this one.

I was wondering if there was anything new or insightful in the book that would be worth a purchase.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:04 PM

I am having a hard time reading this book. I can't really describe the problem becuase it is written very simple like a TJ Cloutier book but for some reason reading it is like walking thru mud.

I wish they could title it more honestly like "Reback on Omaha with Sammy Farha signing off to use his snappy picture on the cover so it will sell more copies because nobody knows who the F*&$ Storms Reback is" by Storms Reback and Sammy Farha collecting royalty checks.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:17 PM

Like another player, I went to my local library (this time, Borders) and took a look at the book. I only got to glance through the book because there were a couple of other poker books I was looking at during the same time.

I found the parts I looked at to be entertaining. I am not sure I would spend my own money to buy it, but I would not turn it down if someone bought it for me. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2007, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if you get it or not but my take is if the odds are in your favour then the more times you run it the better the chance of getting the more likely result. If the odds are against you the less times you run it the less chance for the true odds to come through. However the difference between running it twice or once this might be slim although be interested if someone can demonstrate if his advice is good or bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no difference to your EV, but running it twice does reduce variance. So if you were playing above your head, you might pass up a big bankroll-crippling bet where you were a small favorite, but you might be less likely to pass it up if you could run it twice. The "best" advice is simply to play within your bankroll and then not to worry about it. Running it twice will have no effect in the long run when properly rolled.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:45 PM

I just got done reading the limit Omaha and Pot Limit Omaha section this weekend. As a player who have played Omaha for a little over a year and have read a few books on this game I found the book to be helpful in some regard. There were certainly ideas in the book that I found helpful. Sammy's main idea in Omaha especially in Pot Limit is to push push push. Aggression is the key to the game! He even advocate raising every hand pre-flop if you choose to play. However like many of the reviews so far, the structure of the book could have been better. In the Pot Limit and Limit section, the author broke it down to a before the flop, on the flop and beyone the flop sections. So the structure is not as good as 2+2 books. Overall I feel that the book will be helpful to beginners, provide some extra insight to novice players but will not do much for advance players. I am still holding my breath that 2+2 will come out with a Limit and Pot Limit Omaha Book for advance players in the near future.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:55 PM

I read some of the book today and the bookstore and found the stucture just horrible. The substance seems helpful more so than other Omaha books I assume, but if it was just organized better (Ed Miller could have done wonders) this book would be a great primer. As for the ideas I really liked what I read. It doesn't go into much depth and you really have to reread parts to pull out what's important due to the horrible structure, but there is great stuff in there.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:55 PM

Compared to other omaha books around is it worth getting? Whats the best out there?
Old 10-22-2007, 07:00 PM

There is no "best" PLO book out there. Try searching every other PLO book thread. Only 3 books are mentioned and none of them are highly recommended by PLO regulars.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:42 PM

I would honestly read it myself when I'm ready to start down the Omaha path, but I'm not there yet. Your best bet is probably to just read an introductory book like this and watch some CR vids.

EDIT: Holy crap! A guy in the CR members contribution forum just started and PLO low limit video series today. Check it out!