Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 09-25-2007, 02:22 PM

Default Basic Sit \'n Go Questions Answered Here

Hi Guys,

A lot of the discussion on the 2+2 Sit 'n Go forum is fairly advanced, so if anyone here has basic questions on SNGs -- no matter how simple, I would be happy to answer. We can discuss odds, basic strategy, sample hands, anything you guys want [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Best Regards,
Collin
Old 09-25-2007, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Basic Sit \'n Go Questions Answered Here

What's the basic strategy for the 6man SNGs?
Old 09-25-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Guys,

A lot of the discussion on the 2+2 Sit 'n Go forum is fairly advanced, so if anyone here has basic questions on SNGs -- no matter how simple, I would be happy to answer. We can discuss odds, basic strategy, sample hands, anything you guys want [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Best Regards,
Collin

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been discussions in this forum regarding whether you make the best move for the tournament you're in, or whether you go with the pot odds, which might hurt you in the tournament, but make you more money over time.

How do you feel about this? For example, one table, three players cash, four left, you are the #2 stack--do you call an all-in by the big stack when you estimate your are about 52% to win the hand?
Old 09-25-2007, 05:19 PM

Hi Collin, congrats on getting your book published, I read the review in Cardplayer. I have a question about bankroll. After lurking in the STT forum all winter in 2006, I started playing SNGs on Full Tilt before or after work. It was a great way for me to get my poker fix for the day with a limited amount of time. I seemed to do all right but have had real success with mixed games live and on a few other sites. Never one to enjoy waiting for a hand, SNGs appeal to me since I can play numerous tables at once and not have it have the same negative impact on ROI as when I multitable different limit games at, say, 3/6-10/20; I tend to break about even or maybe earn a few BBs. If I plan on 4 tabling $10 & $20 regular speed SNGs on Pokerstars, what would you believe to be a proper bankroll figure? Thanks
Old 09-25-2007, 05:31 PM

My SnG question is home game related. When I am playing in a weekly Donk filled 6-10 man game, I play tight while others seem to call with any 2 cards. I try to play aces & kings with a good kicker, raise with any pocket pair higher than 8s and call with lower looking to flop. I do try and make moves in this game with Jack crap, but I get beat by Crap off suit because some nit calls with Ocho Cinco and it hits. What is the best strategy for playing in this game where they play rags and call bluffs? My cards don't come often or quick enough for me to build a stack. A typical 8 man lasts about 45 minutes. We play with markers, 40, and the blinds go up only when someone is knocked out.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My SnG question is home game related. When I am playing in a weekly Donk filled 6-10 man game, I play tight while others seem to call with any 2 cards. I try to play aces & kings with a good kicker, raise with any pocket pair higher than 8s and call with lower looking to flop. I do try and make moves in this game with Jack crap, but I get beat by Crap off suit because some nit calls with Ocho Cinco and it hits. What is the best strategy for playing in this game where they play rags and call bluffs? My cards don't come often or quick enough for me to build a stack. A typical 8 man lasts about 45 minutes. We play with markers, 40, and the blinds go up only when someone is knocked out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I come? I'd love to play in this game! Profit
Old 09-25-2007, 05:45 PM

Scuba, while you're playing more hands, you still basically want to play a tighter game early (relative to cash NL 6-max), open up with more steals during mid blinds, and revert to hyper-aggressive mode late. The bubble now occurs with 3 players left, so this is where you can really accumulate your chips when other players are tightening.

Poker Clif, you should decline slight chip edges such as the example you give. In fact, I give a much more extreme example of the situation you're talking about in the chapter on bubble play in Sit n Go Strategy (the infamous Hand 3-9). The basic reason is that while you are winning chips, you are losing equity (the $ value of those chips).

Danastasio, the conventional answer is around 50 buyins, so you'd want a balance of ~ $1000 to be playing the $20's. Mixed games are great, what's your favorite in the HORSE rotation? Mine's probably razz. I think most SNG players could definitely help their game by trying some other variations of poker ... gets you thinking more analytically.

Great questions so far!

-- Collin
Old 09-25-2007, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Danastasio, the conventional answer is around 50 buyins, so you'd want a balance of ~ $1000 to be playing the $20's. Mixed games are great, what's your favorite in the HORSE rotation? Mine's probably razz. I think most SNG players could definitely help their game by trying some other variations of poker ... gets you thinking more analytically.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a Stud hi low fan for the moment. If you get your implied odds down, your average opponent becomes your ATM, being as most tend to reveal their "direction" quite early on.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:48 AM

What's the best-size raise in SNG's?

In the Early stages I just play normal poker, raise 3x/4x the BB. In the middle stages about 3x the BB. When it becomes 3/4 handed I raise about 2,5x the BB, if people get to easily call my raises because they are not too big, I raise to 3x BB.

When it's HU I raise between 2.1 to 2.5 x the BB. If the bet-size isn't working, I adapt. You have to steal a lot (mainly in position), but if you get reraised and you have to lay it down, then you haven't had much invested in the pot. What's your opinion on bet-sizes Collin? (I play 9-man SNG's.)
Old 09-26-2007, 03:00 AM

Based upon your experience, is it more profitable to play 6-man, 9-man, or 18-man SnGs (NL Hold 'Em) and why?

BTW, Razz (and Omaha H/L) are my favorite games in mixed game format, Razz because everyone else hates it, and Omaha h/l because I like the deception that comes naturally with a split-pot game.