Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 08-07-2007, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Hiking Trip Report: Enchantment Lakes (Alpine Lakes Wilderness)

Fantastic!

I will be seriously looking into that tripod.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Beautiful pictures, thanks for the report.

This might be more relevant to an "Ask-a-thru-hiker" thread, but would you mind briefly going over what is included in your 10lb pack with approximate weight of each item? I have only done day hikes up this point but lately I've been having an itch to do something longer and don't really know where to begin when it comes to gear.

Did you have a lot more when you did your thru-hike? How much extra weight does water and food normally add? Long hikes in general are fascinating to me, so I would certainly like to see an "ask me" thread if you get the chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd also be interested in that info. I'm doing a solo 5 day hike next week. I haven't weighed my pack but there's absolutely no way I'll be even close to 10 pounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Search google for Ultralight Hiking, there will be a lot of info. Getting all your gear down to that weight is expensive and takes knowing what you actually need and use on the trail, so it's probably not for a beginner. I'm not an ultralight hiker.

[/ QUOTE ]

www.gossamergear.com/

www.golite.com

The first ultralight "bible" so to speak was Ray Jardine's Beyond Backpacking. Also, for more information read the trail journals of various hikers at www.trailjournals.com

I don't have any interest in any of the links provided, although I have met Glen (of Gossamer Gear) a few times. It is just that going light is so much more enjoyable when hiking more than a few miles that it is definitely worth the extra expense and effort IMO.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pictures good, will read words later.

Take me on awesome hikes plz, I need to do more exercise that doesn't involve staying in one place.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could probably do with something as easy as a few hour hike on Tiger Mountain.

I used to backpack into some awesome lakes in the Jefferson wilderness area in oregon but none of them were more than 4-5 hour hikes.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pictures good, will read words later.

Take me on awesome hikes plz, I need to do more exercise that doesn't involve staying in one place.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could probably do with something as easy as a few hour hike on Tiger Mountain.

I used to backpack into some awesome lakes in the Jefferson wilderness area in oregon but none of them were more than 4-5 hour hikes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dids, there's gotta be tons of hikes in the NW.

This could be you:

Old 08-07-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Beautiful pictures, thanks for the report.

This might be more relevant to an "Ask-a-thru-hiker" thread, but would you mind briefly going over what is included in your 10lb pack with approximate weight of each item? I have only done day hikes up this point but lately I've been having an itch to do something longer and don't really know where to begin when it comes to gear.

Did you have a lot more when you did your thru-hike? How much extra weight does water and food normally add? Long hikes in general are fascinating to me, so I would certainly like to see an "ask me" thread if you get the chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd also be interested in that info. I'm doing a solo 5 day hike next week. I haven't weighed my pack but there's absolutely no way I'll be even close to 10 pounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Search google for Ultralight Hiking, there will be a lot of info. Getting all your gear down to that weight is expensive and takes knowing what you actually need and use on the trail, so it's probably not for a beginner. I'm not an ultralight hiker.

[/ QUOTE ]

www.gossamergear.com/

www.golite.com

The first ultralight "bible" so to speak was Ray Jardine's Beyond Backpacking. Also, for more information read the trail journals of various hikers at www.trailjournals.com

I don't have any interest in any of the links provided, although I have met Glen (of Gossamer Gear) a few times. It is just that going light is so much more enjoyable when hiking more than a few miles that it is definitely worth the extra expense and effort IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glen is an awesome guy. He was one of our sponsors for our hike in 2001 (outfitted us with 3 G4 backpacks), but even better, we randomly encountered him just south of Wrightwood while hiking. Our blisters were horrendous at that point and he introduced us to Compeed bandages, which were brand-new at the time (I had never seen them before) and are absolute livesavers when it comes to treating blisters. He gave each of us a dozen or so of them which lasted us until we got to a town with a decent supermarket (Big Bear, I think) which stocked them. Such a cool guy, and good gear to boot.

Rob
Old 08-07-2007, 06:23 PM

ah that looks so fun rob.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:12 PM

I've always gone somewhat lightweight (not ultra light) and started to get some ultra light stuff. I really didn't like the backpack I got and quit the ultra light kick after I returned it. Thinking about it now the back pack should really be the last ultra light thing that one buys.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've always gone somewhat lightweight (not ultra light) and started to get some ultra light stuff. I really didn't like the backpack I got and quit the ultra light kick after I returned it. Thinking about it now the back pack should really be the last ultra light thing that one buys.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree 100%. Most backpacks weigh 5-8lb, sometimes more. Mine weighs ~16oz. You can't be casual when you're planning to go lightweight, but all that really amounts to saying is that you can't be stupid. You have to have some degree of foresight whenever planning a lightweight trip, but it really doesn't take all that much work, and you really should approach it holistically. Don't gradually lighten your load by switching a 4lb sleeping bag to a 3lb one and then to a 2.5lb one; sit down, and basing your weight off of other established gearlists, figure out what you really need for a trip.

Here's my gearlist, more or less, for the last hike:

Golite Pack - 16oz (guesstimate; I think mfr's reported weight on these was either 16 or 18oz but can't find it anymore)
Marmot Helium EQ 15degree bag - 39oz

Clothes:
2pr Thorlo socks - ? oz; wore one, packed other
1 Mountain Hardwear collared hiking T; 1 long-sleeve silkweight capilene undershirt; 1 generic synthetic coolmax T-shirt; 1 Mountain Hardwear "Monkey Man" fleece
Bandanna
1pr gloves (lightweight w/windstopper)
1 skullcap
1pr spandex running/hiking shorts; 2pr REI MTS midweight boxer-briefs
1pr nylon shorts, 1pr REI Sahara convertible short/pants

Shelter/Shared Gear:
http://www.tarptent.com/rainshadow2.html - Tarptent Rainshadow - total weight 42oz (shared gear)
Water Filter (Pur Hiker) - 12oz
2 Titanium pots (1 MSR Ti Kettle @ ~3oz and 1 MSR pot @ ~4oz, I think), 2 titanium sporks for utensils
Sleeping Pad - Thermarest Z-rest @ 10oz

Extra gear (most people wouldn't need to bring):
Diabetic gear / medical gear
Photography equipment - 2 lenses (approx 3lb total), camera body @2lb, tripod+ballhead @ 1lb - 6lb extra weight (but well worth it)

That's all off the top of my head but my backpack, which is frameless, was still incredibly comfortable for the entire trip, and that's with me bringing about 8lb more equipment than you'd actually "need" for a standard hike (as most people would bring a standard P&S digital camera and not need to bring tons of medical equipment into the backcountry).

Part of me wants to say that lightweight backpacking (what used to be ultralight, but is now just "lightweight" with a base weight of 8-10lb before food+water) isn't for everyone, but I've yet to find someone who has actually given it a fair shake and not been converted. It just makes the act of hiking so much more pleasurable, not being burdened down with tons of gear. It also allows for, on shorter trips, you to pick and choose your luxuries much better -- affording me, on this trip, the ability to bring along a ton of photo equipment, for example (the difference between my old, standard backpack at 7.5lb and this backpack at ~1lb was enough to account for all of the photo equipment alone).

Meh. Rant more off.

Rob
Old 08-07-2007, 10:36 PM

The big thing I was trying to say in that last post is that going lightweight/ultralight is really a philosophical deal, and isn't just "buying the lightest equipment you can buy" sort of thing. There's definitely room for buying nice gear that weighs very little (like my sleeping bag), but if you are just moving through your equipment piece by piece, rather than really examining your philosophy with how you approach being in the outdoors, you'll end up being unhappy with bits or pieces of the gear, undoubtedly. It's a holistic system and it really should be treated as such rather than just buying a backpack that is lighter, or a lighter sleeping bag, etc.

I will also say that one of the BIGGEST differences between lightweight and standard backpacking is the choice of footwear. I do all of my hiking in what is basically an older version of this shoe:

http://www.montrail.com/Product.aspx...=130&top=1

...and the decreased weight and increased mobility I have is phenomenal. I think the old adage is "a pound on the foot is like 10lbs on the back" and it's one thing I agree with 100%.

Rob
Old 08-07-2007, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I will also say that one of the BIGGEST differences between lightweight and standard backpacking is the choice of footwear. I do all of my hiking in what is basically an older version of this shoe:

http://www.montrail.com/Product.aspx...=130&top=1

...and the decreased weight and increased mobility I have is phenomenal. I think the old adage is "a pound on the foot is like 10lbs on the back" and it's one thing I agree with 100%.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, I just bought a pair of Montrails ( link ) that are much heavier than that because I'll be hiking solo and was worried about spraining an ankle. Aren't you concerned about that when wearing low top shoes like that?