Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 07-22-2007, 07:52 PM

Default ($55) Stars - Flop two pair on monotone board

Comments on every street please, really confused about this hand!

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (9 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

MP1 (t4303)
MP2 (t10430)
MP3 (t23847)
CO (t8045)
Button (t14758)
SB (t16185)
Hero (t8490)
UTG (t3964)
UTG+1 (t10525)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls t400, MP3 calls t400, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t1600) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1300</font>, MP2 calls t1300, MP3 calls t1300, SB folds.

Turn: (t5500) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t3333</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t8705</font>, MP3 calls t8705, Hero calls t3432 (All-In).

River: (t29675) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t29675
Old 07-22-2007, 08:04 PM

Default Re: ($55) Stars - Flop two pair on monotone board

lol for one this isn't a monotone board, this is a board begging for fireworks. I like the flop bet. The two calls behind scare me for a few reasons. People love to limp with Axs, and if someone has the A of hearts and a pair or K of hearts with a pair they not folding. They are probably calling without a pair as well. The A is a scare card, somebody could easily have a higher two pair a flush or even a set. I probably would have checked the turn, with two calls behind on flop I would be very surprised if someone didn't already have the flush. I would probably fold after MP2's raise as well. The problem with your turn bet is it pot committed you to a hand in which I don't think you are ahead of very often.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:01 AM

Preflop and flop are fine.

Your turn bet does pot commit you, so your options are:

1) Check/fold
2) Check/raise
3) Push

1. seems too weak, so I would not use this.

2. This could be dangerous by allowing it to get checked through and help other people draw out. If it is bet and you c/r AI, you are going to get called.

3. I think this is the best option. You will get calls from the obv. stuff that beats you, but you also have some fold equity and the pot is big, so I would try and get it. If you are called, you are probably still is good-decent shape.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:22 PM

What do we think about overbetting the flop? Or a C/R AI?
Old 07-23-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

3. I think this is the best option. You will get calls from the obv. stuff that beats you, but you also have some fold equity and the pot is big, so I would try and get it. If you are called, you are probably still is good-decent shape.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont the better hands call and worse hands fold?
Old 07-23-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hands that have paired up and have flush draws that you are ahead of (like Ahx, or KhJ, or KhQ) will call your push here. You still might get called by a naked heart as well.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hands that have paired up and have flush draws that you are ahead of (like Ahx, or KhJ, or KhQ) will call your push here. You still might get called by a naked heart as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Illini

You suggested that I be banned for my Fold AA post a week ago (the one with the cockaspaniel, Daniel Neagreanu, and the schitzophrenic donk), but I'm starting to like your posts. Yes, I think that pushing is pretty decent advice. But, I still disagree - this is more logic than anything else:

How much faith do you have in having the best hand when three players have called your flop bet. What are the three possible holdings here - Ahx, Khx, and Qhx, respectively? Well, that would be nice, except aside from these three holdings, everything else has you beat. This includes slow played sets, slow played baby flushes, slow played big/nut flush, or a slow played two pair afraid of a flush but when you push, "OH NO, he has a FLUSH, I call."

You have plenty of chips to work with, so your two pair isn't that valuable at this time.

If there are three players making seemingly idiotic plays by slow playing on this board, there is a much bigger chance one of them is an idiot + with a better hand.

Barry