Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 06:54 AM

Default Phil Gordon

This guy is a total mess. You'd have no idea based on his TV persona, but my god this guy is full of rage. I've played with him in the 1k rebuy last year, and the 5k mixed event. Here is a list of things I've seen

1) Someone will reraise him and he will fold but shake his head violently while throwing cards into the muck. Then he will stare at his chips and grind them into the felt while he makes an anguished look on his face.

2) Hellmuth loses a big pot and starts doing his standard F All you Crazy Internet Kids speech that is pretty playful in nature. Phil H is generally playful even though he is technically berating other players. Phil Gordon speaks up and says to him that he needs to stop or he will make sure he gets a 30 minute penalty and that because he is on the rules committee for the WSOP he is allowed to say this. Hellmuth handled it great, basically looking at him and saying "who the [censored] are you phil gordon?"

3) He berates other players constantly. He is like that little idiot who will see someone open Q9o and then he will make some comment like "nice open queen nine OFFSUIT for a RAISE in EARLY POSITION".

4) He whines like a little baby. Juanda and I were with him last year at the 1k event and he kept going busto (sometimes with best, sometimes with worse) and even though he said he had won 10k the night before playing pool, he was so pissed at having to rebuy.

5) I know this is NVG, but he is also pretty terrible at poker. Here was his bustout hand:

Jimmy Tran (maybe?? loose azn dude) opens in early position to 1800 with 300 600 blinds. One caller, then Gordon calls in the BB. Flop comes A55 two spades. Gordon leads for 2k, azn dude makes it 4k. Azn dude barely covers him, they are around 25k deep. Numbers might be slightly off but the hand flow is correct. Gordon makes it 4k more, so 8k total to azn guy. He shrugs and calls after a little thought. Turn is some high spade. Gordon bets 7k and then calls off around 10k more when the azn guy pushes (calls instantly, bets 7k instantly, as if he really didnt even see flush or care). Gordon has 56, asian guy has 89s for a flush.

Phil immediately pounds the table in disgust, then basically runs off. 20 feet away he makes a U Turn and dashes back to the table. "Did he have me covered??" Keep in mind, after the hand in his anger, he basically pushed all his chips in a huge messy pile towards the AZN guy.

The asian guy tells him that he counted his chips and for sure had him covered by 5k or so. Phil asks for the dealer to count the chips, but they are all in a total mess because he sloppyily shoved them into the middle where some were in main pot, etc. A few people at the table are like "yeah Phil, he def had you covered". After sitting there for about 10 secs not saying anything, he says "Nice hand" and walks off.

So not only is he terrible as a TV guy, but he is a total tiltbox nutcase with zero mental control, a terrible temper, and a real lack of understanding for poker! It helps to be really tall, good looking, and to have run well at the right times.

Edit:

Forgot to mention that Phil Gordon threatened to give Humberto Brenes a 30 minute penalty for taunting players with his electronic shark.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:04 AM

Default Re: Phil Gordon

By the end of the series, we're gonna need an anthology of "Phil Gordon is a huge douchebag" anecdotes.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:14 AM

he isnt good looking, he looks like a really tall rat.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:22 AM

I thought a lot of his 'character' showed through when he made his WPT Shooting Star final table appearance a few years ago, and it seems this is all in line as to what I'd expect from that.

Edit:

Forgot to mention that Brenes should be barred from poker.

Edit:

Also forgot this-
Old 06-04-2007, 07:22 AM

Sweet thread. Keep 'em coming, Strass.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:23 AM

From Phil's website http://www.philnolimits.com/ :

Welcome. I live my life by a simple philosophy: "No Limits." A "No Limits" life is built on six fundamentals: aggression, patience, courage, resiliency, observation, and an intense desire to improve. In this website, you can see how my simple philosophy guides me at the poker table, in business, travel, philanthropy, and with my family. "No Limits" is my recipe for winning and success.

Think he is a decent poker commentator and writer, but the the douche factor keeps rising. Great post.

[Edit: So, according to Phil, "no limits" is a philosophy that governs his actions in multiple mutually distinct areas? How is "no limits" a "guide" when dealing with "philanthropy and family"? Don't want to be a nit (though I am), but be smart enough not to insult people's intelligence and make yourself look like a tool at the same time. End SMP rant.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Edit:

Forgot to mention that Phil Gordon threatened to give Humberto Brenes a 30 minute penalty for taunting players with his electronic shark.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol

i remember a few weeks ago there was a thread about gordon playing 200nl or something HU. the guy he was playing against was a blatant fish and gordon warned him that he was about to lose all his money and he should just leave now. i'm sure that was a huge ego boost for gordon.

here's a beautiful clip from poker after dark. (fast forward 3:30mins)
Old 06-04-2007, 07:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Forgot to mention that Brenes should be barred from poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT
Old 06-04-2007, 07:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i remember a few weeks ago there was a thread about gordon playing 200nl or something HU. the guy he was playing against was a blatant fish and gordon warned him that he was about to lose all his money and he should just leave now. i'm sure that was a huge ego boost for gordon.

here's a beautiful clip from poker after dark. (fast forward 3:30mins)

[/ QUOTE ]
I like how Ivey thinks about it for a couple of seconds. It isn't an angry reaction. He obviously hates the weasel and takes his chance to call him out. Good one.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This guy is a total mess. You'd have no idea based on his TV persona, but my god this guy is full of rage. I've played with him in the 1k rebuy last year, and the 5k mixed event. Here is a list of things I've seen

1) Someone will reraise him and he will fold but shake his head violently while throwing cards into the muck. Then he will stare at his chips and grind them into the felt while he makes an anguished look on his face.

2) Hellmuth loses a big pot and starts doing his standard F All you Crazy Internet Kids speech that is pretty playful in nature. Phil H is generally playful even though he is technically berating other players. Phil Gordon speaks up and says to him that he needs to stop or he will make sure he gets a 30 minute penalty and that because he is on the rules committee for the WSOP he is allowed to say this. Hellmuth handled it great, basically looking at him and saying "who the [censored] are you phil gordon?"

3) He berates other players constantly. He is like that little idiot who will see someone open Q9o and then he will make some comment like "nice open queen nine OFFSUIT for a RAISE in EARLY POSITION".

4) He whines like a little baby. Juanda and I were with him last year at the 1k event and he kept going busto (sometimes with best, sometimes with worse) and even though he said he had won 10k the night before playing pool, he was so pissed at having to rebuy.

5) I know this is NVG, but he is also pretty terrible at poker. Here was his bustout hand:

Jimmy Tran (maybe?? loose azn dude) opens in early position to 1800 with 300 600 blinds. One caller, then Gordon calls in the BB. Flop comes A55 two spades. Gordon leads for 2k, azn dude makes it 4k. Azn dude barely covers him, they are around 25k deep. Numbers might be slightly off but the hand flow is correct. Gordon makes it 4k more, so 8k total to azn guy. He shrugs and calls after a little thought. Turn is some high spade. Gordon bets 7k and then calls off around 10k more when the azn guy pushes (calls instantly, bets 7k instantly, as if he really didnt even see flush or care). Gordon has 56, asian guy has 89s for a flush.

Phil immediately pounds the table in disgust, then basically runs off. 20 feet away he makes a U Turn and dashes back to the table. "Did he have me covered??" Keep in mind, after the hand in his anger, he basically pushed all his chips in a huge messy pile towards the AZN guy.

The asian guy tells him that he counted his chips and for sure had him covered by 5k or so. Phil asks for the dealer to count the chips, but they are all in a total mess because he sloppyily shoved them into the middle where some were in main pot, etc. A few people at the table are like "yeah Phil, he def had you covered". After sitting there for about 10 secs not saying anything, he says "Nice hand" and walks off.

So not only is he terrible as a TV guy, but he is a total tiltbox nutcase with zero mental control, a terrible temper, and a real lack of understanding for poker! It helps to be really tall, good looking, and to have run well at the right times.

Edit:

[/ QUOTE ]
day trader lol