Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 08:47 PM

Default Re: Jim Cramer

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure that following guys like this broadcasting to huge audiences is ever a really great strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe not following them, but not following them!
Old 03-19-2007, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure that following guys like this broadcasting to huge audiences is ever a really great strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only broadcasters I would listen to are ones who recommend index funds. Too bad that makes for boring television.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:55 PM

I will watch the show for a few minutes from time to time just to see his antics, but I imagine he's reputed as the Phil Hellmuth of the finance world. Mostly talk, and busy doing "other things" (DVD's/TV shows) to truly dominate poker, or in this case, the stock market.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Henry Blodget (lol) has written a bunch of stuff in Slate recently about Jim Cramer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Henry Blodget calling out Cramer for being an idiot is the pot calling the kettle. Can you say Investment Banker lackey?

from Wikepedia

"...Blodget's later articles for the magazine focussed on the return limiting actions of individual investors, including listening to analysts and the financial media, and relying on active management such as mutual and hedge funds. Instead, Blodget recommends low fee index investing to capture the broad return, while focussing on reduced portfolio turnover to minimise taxes. This investment strategy is in contrast to his earlier life as an analyst, and one he readily acknowledges throughout his discourse. His Slate articles about investing carry a seven-paragraph disclosure of potential conflicts of interest."

ROFL
Old 03-19-2007, 09:49 PM

Blodget is a scumbag prick, Cramer is awesome and is coming to my hometown tomorrow to speak and I am [censored] pissed I will miss it. Whether or not his opinions on stocks are profitable, he has the best intentions and should certainly be given credit for making a subject that many regard as dreary into something that is widely entertaining. FWIW, he has made me a couple thousand.

Also, his first two books (at least) are pretty good, especially his autobiography.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:16 PM

I sometimes used to catch Cramer's radio show on the way home from work. The impression that I got was a guy who basically knows what he's talking about but is overextended. I don't think your grandmother will underperform by following him, because he will weed out the total crap. (Main danger may be getting a bad price after his recommendation bumps the stock.)

He had some good thoughts, nothing that would make you say "Wow this guy's a genius", but enough that following what he says (with your BS detector on) isn't a bad idea. Of course, there are probably more knowledgeable people to listen to.

He does get himself into trouble because he is expected to come up with something new every day. So about half the time he bloviates about companies that he knows little about, and you need to watch out for that because he's a lemming when he does that.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:27 PM

I dislike Jim Cramer, but only because my mom watches him all the time. I have no knowledge of his personal investing prowess, but the nature of the market means that most of his advice is instantly rendered worthless by broadcasting it over TV. OTOH, he's no more or less worthless (at least for the average investor) than every other program on CNBC.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:45 PM

I hate him. I love Larry Kudlow though. Amazing cnbc can go from great 5-6 and crap 6-7 just like that
Old 03-19-2007, 11:06 PM

I like him. What he does on mad money is for show; he is not really like that. He wants ratings and thus he needs to attract both the noobs, and the semi/smarties (like me and strass).

If you listen to his podcast when it was on, you'd see he is very serious actually.

I really hate the guys on fast money

I cant stand these two clowns. The whole show is a penis waving contest. I realllly hate the last guy.

Overall, I feel Cramer would have a better show if he cut back on all the charades. Check out bloomberg as an alternative for finance info.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:07 PM

Didn't he horribly horribly horribly break the law at some point?