Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2006, 05:06 AM

Default Learning Billiards

If a degenerate like myself were to buy a pool table and wanted to get good at it, what would be a good place to start? Are there any books that are considered standard reading to set me on the right path? Any tips any of who might have for a relative beginner?
Old 10-19-2006, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Learning Billiards

I would advise you to make sure that you work on the fundamentals of a proper pool stroke first. I believe that I may have started out with a crooked stroke, forcing me to adjust later to correct it. Would have been easier if I'd been taught to shoot straight before I acquired those bad habits. This is the most important thing in pool - a straight stroke. Once your body and head are positioned for an optimal stroke, even the sharpest cut shots are relatively easy to execute. The intellectual part of pool (cue ball control, strategy, etc.) is something that comes with study and practice. The stroke is the most important thing though. If you can acquire a great stroke, you can get bad on balls and still get out, because your shotmaking skills are so good. Once you develop the stroke, acquire knowledge, and develop a nice touch, you will be able to run racks. Takes some time though.

As for books, I would recommend Precision Pool. There's plenty of other good info on pool, but I would avoid the Robert Byrne books because they generally focus on specific shots, many which don't come up much. They are good to read later on, once you've acquired some skill.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:33 AM

I don't know whether it's not good for beginners b/c I wasn't a beginner when I read it, but my short answer in terms of books is:

Robert Byrne's Standard Book of Billiards. (I have all his books.)
Old 10-26-2006, 04:15 PM

Purchase Byrne's Standard Book of Pool and Billiards, as well as Byrne's Standard VIDEO of Pool and Billiards Volumes 1 and 2. They are great for beginners and non-beginners alike. Trust me. There is nothing better.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:02 AM

1. Get a qualified instructor. You can go to this page for a list of BCA certified instructors. This will help you get your mechanics strightened out before you develop too many bad habits. Also, you'll get a pretty extensive primer on the physics of the game. It's not cheap, but it will save you tons of time later on.

2. Any of the books/videos mentioned are good, but to improve most quickly, I recommend Bert Kinister's 60-Minute Workot for 8-Ball and 9-Ball (www.bertkinister.com). Practice that stuff and your game will improve dramatically. Bert has some other worthwhile videos out there, but some are crap, too. In general, the lower the volume number in his series, the more good info there is and less BS.