Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 12-01-2007, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Les Miles to Coach Michigan

[ QUOTE ]
However, he has kept the LSU program at a very high level, and it's hard to ask more of a coach than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, I'm amazed that anyone wouldn't want him because of clock/game management. You have to grade that stuff on a curve since most coaches at every level suck at it. It's not like LSU is such an unreal program that they have to be an elite team every year.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:28 PM

Outside looking in, the talent that LSU gets more than makes up for Les's weird in-game decisions.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:30 PM

this whole thing is so weird. i just read an article at the Det free press that says Mich. reps and Les Miles reps had gone so far as discussing salary and staff, and then the LSU ad says Miles was never interested in Mich. wtf. sounds pretty interested to me.

i don't undestand why im having some hurt feelings right now. i wanted Les Miles here at Mich. although i truly beleive he is not a great coach, isn't that kind of weird? lol.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However, he has kept the LSU program at a very high level, and it's hard to ask more of a coach than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, I'm amazed that anyone wouldn't want him because of clock/game management. You have to grade that stuff on a curve since most coaches at every level suck at it. It's not like LSU is such an unreal program that they have to be an elite team every year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, I've made this point before, but 1) almost everyone screws up so it's not a great point to distinguish coaches and 2) it's a very very small part of coaching. It's very easy to evaluate, but it's much less important than playcalling, scheme, recruiting, and player development, the last of which in particular is quite hard for us to judge. But instead of saying "there's a lot that's hard to figure out", we just say "he did a bad thing in this one small area so he sucks" because we're sooper-smrt geniuses who know everything.

Not saying fans can't legitimately critique football decisions, but OTOH there's a lot of things we don't know or can't judge well and we should acknowledge it.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Each Les press conference makes me hope he isn't our next coach more. He sounds retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

He makes most SEC fans very happy by staying. It's not like he is some amazing recruiter, the school recruits itself & they have almost complete control on a good High School football state. Not that I like looking at rankings in recruiting, but they have 20 guys this year & not a bunch of highly rated ones. Not impressed. They have the 2nd lowest rating per player in the top 15 on Rivals.

[/ QUOTE ]
Translation: they have the number 14 rated recruiting class according to rivals.

[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

on the plus side Miles is creative, aggressive, an excellent recruitor and good motivator. i always felt like if he came to Mich. we could improve some of his game theory stuff like game plan and time managment. im sure Lloyd would still be around. he basically brings all the components of coaching that Mich. is missing.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Each Les press conference makes me hope he isn't our next coach more. He sounds retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

He makes most SEC fans very happy by staying. It's not like he is some amazing recruiter, the school recruits itself & they have almost complete control on a good High School football state. Not that I like looking at rankings in recruiting, but they have 20 guys this year & not a bunch of highly rated ones. Not impressed. They have the 2nd lowest rating per player in the top 15 on Rivals.

[/ QUOTE ]
Translation: they have the number 14 rated recruiting class according to rivals.

[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, so he's bad because he's going 10-2 with insane talent AND he sucks because he can't recruit that well (but is going 10-2 anyway)? I know you might not be saying both things but they're out there so...these aren't both right.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:43 PM

Other than the culture of violence thing, is there a reason Brian Kelly's name isn't coming up more in "official" circles?
Old 12-01-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Right, I've made this point before, but 1) almost everyone screws up so it's not a great point to distinguish coaches and 2) it's a very very small part of coaching. It's very easy to evaluate, but it's much less important than playcalling, scheme, recruiting, and player development, the last of which in particular is quite hard for us to judge. But instead of saying "there's a lot that's hard to figure out", we just say "he did a bad thing in this one small area so he sucks" because we're sooper-smrt geniuses who know everything.

Not saying fans can't legitimately critique football decisions, but OTOH there's a lot of things we don't know or can't judge well and we should acknowledge it.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT. Good thoughts. I agree 100%. That is why I think Les Miles is a GOOD coach (though not a great one), and if he does stay at LSU, I will be happy.

Taking a team that whose lives had been totally disrupted by two huge bitches in 2005 (Katrina and Rita), and still pulling off a GOOD 2 loss season, and a very convincing victory over Miami in the Peach Bowl -- that was just a damn fine coaching job IMO.

And TFG: You should know that LSU is poaching Gator recruiting territory in Florida. We are also starting to take over East Texas. Yes, Miles is a very fine recruiter.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:44 PM

The thing I don't understand about this entire affair is where Herbstreit got his info. It sure doesn't sound like something the Michigan AD would ever do. They *usually* run a much tighter ship than that. It's unfortunate, too, because it makes it look all the more embarrassing for Michigan. It *looks like* we offered Miles, he accepted, information became public, he got pissed (or LSU dumped even more $$$ on him) and did a U-turn. But I really doubt that's the case, especially if you believe Carty and the other Michigan beat writers who claim Martin never talked to Miles.

I realize there's so much behind-the-scenes stuff we never see. But the 'agreement' and the Herbstreit leak are not at all within the character of this athletic department. You'd have to think Herbstreit (if he's going to announce on GameDay like that with so much certainty) got his info from one of three camps: Michigan AD, LSU AD, or Miles's camp. But it just doesn't sound like something the Michigan AD would do. Maybe I'm wrong.

I suppose Occam's razor would suggest that Herbstreit isn't any kind of journalist and probably just reported [censored] he heard from someone not at all close to the situation.