21-25 8 5.13%
26-30 4 2.56%
31-40 4 2.56%
40+ 5 3.21%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-2007, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Best MSNL Coaches

[ QUOTE ]
My CPA told me that I would need to give my coaches a 1099 tax form if I wanted to write my coaching expenses off*. Otherwise I cannot.

*Downside of this is that the coach would have to pay taxes on the coaching fees.

[/ QUOTE ]

coaches have to pay taxes on money earned from coaching, and yes, you can write off any expense related to poker coaching if you are filing as a pro, just like you can write off your cardrunners membership.

also, i'm 95% sure that you're in no way responsible for giving your coach a 1099 form. they handle their own reporting of their coaching and you just note to your accountant your coaching fees as part of your expenses.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:15 PM

But you have to document your coaching expenses. So you need a receipt at least.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My CPA told me that I would need to give my coaches a 1099 tax form if I wanted to write my coaching expenses off*. Otherwise I cannot.

*Downside of this is that the coach would have to pay taxes on the coaching fees.

[/ QUOTE ]

coaches have to pay taxes on money earned from coaching, and yes, you can write off any expense related to poker coaching if you are filing as a pro, just like you can write off your cardrunners membership.

also, i'm 95% sure that you're in no way responsible for giving your coach a 1099 form. they handle their own reporting of their coaching and you just note to your accountant your coaching fees as part of your expenses.

[/ QUOTE ]

You technically should give your coach a 1099 if you pay him more than $600 during the calendar year. However, if you don't, it doesn't make it non-deductible.

If you have a CPA prepare your taxes, they will almost certainly ask about 1099'ing your coach when you give the coaching expenses.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You technically should give your coach a 1099 if you pay him more than $600 during the calendar year. However, if you don't, it doesn't make it non-deductible.

If you have a CPA prepare your taxes, they will almost certainly ask about 1099'ing your coach when you give the coaching expenses.

[/ QUOTE ]

my cpa didn't seem to think this was a big deal.

also i got the emails from the player to player transfers so that could help.

WoT
Old 11-22-2007, 02:01 AM

MDMA sounds dreamy.