Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 11-15-2007, 09:58 PM

Default Re: Lee Jones Winning Low Limit Hold\'em

Is there any reason to purchase the 3rd edition if one already has SSH and Hilger's book?
Old 11-15-2007, 10:04 PM

There is no reason to do anything.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:13 AM

nope. IMO after those 2 books you dont need Lee's book.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any reason to purchase the 3rd edition if one already has SSH and Hilger's book?

[/ QUOTE ]

The primary reason to read Jones is if you need a gentler introduction than Hilger. If you have already played and don't mind rolling up your sleeves a bit and starting right off with some math, then you don't really need Jones. Start with ITH, and after that read SSH.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The primary reason to read Jones is if you need a gentler introduction than Hilger. If you have already played and don't mind rolling up your sleeves a bit and starting right off with some math, then you don't really need Jones. Start with ITH, and after that read SSH.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-16-2007, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The primary reason to read Jones is if you need a gentler introduction than Hilger. If you have already played and don't mind rolling up your sleeves a bit and starting right off with some math, then you don't really need Jones. Start with ITH, and after that read Stox.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 11-22-2007, 02:40 AM

As a newbie poker player when first starting out totally clueless, (see my VERY LONG intro post which I made to the wrong forum-- in the NVG forum for details on my life story...LOL), I got ahold of just about every poker book that was available at BORDERS BOOKSTORE and which I could find on eBay and/or AMAZON.

The Sklansky and Brunson books which were the ones I really wanted to check out first (because I heard them mentioned on the WPT) were clearly over my head. And I was just playing live low limit games ($3-6) when I first started out.

So I found that many of the boooks I needed to set aside and try to begin picking up things very slowly. Which is where I found Lee's books and I fondly recall them being quite helpful to me.

Matter of fact, now that I am re-entering the poker world again, on a different coast and after two years, I am basically beginning all over again. Only this time I already know that a flush beats a straight. LOL!

It's time for me to revisit some books again and I think I'll check this one out again.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:15 AM

it was one of the first poker books i read and i learned alot from it. easy to read, well organized, solid stuff. i recommend it to my friends who are diving into poker.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:59 PM

Lee Jones submitted Winning Low Limit Holdem to Mason for 2+2 consideration, and Mason rejected it. Jones published it anyway. It became popular, but was flawed. Some of the postflop advice was weak-tight. After many years, Jones published a 2nd edition, which was better. The 2nd edition only had limit holdem advice. Not too long after the 2nd edition, Jones came out with the 3rd edition, which contains material on no limit holdem and sit and gos if I recall. I do understand that Tannenbaum assisted with the 3rd edition, and it is universally considered the best edition.

Miller's Getting Started in Holdem is probably the best conceptual book for a pure beginner. Most beginners could probably go straight from GSIH to SSHE, but WLLHE 3rd is a fine beginner text too.

That's why I recommend Ken Warren to all my beginner friends LOL
Old 11-24-2007, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I recommend Ken Warren to all

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]