Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 08-07-2007, 11:17 PM

Default Re: Hiking Trip Report: Enchantment Lakes (Alpine Lakes Wilderness)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I will also say that one of the BIGGEST differences between lightweight and standard backpacking is the choice of footwear. I do all of my hiking in what is basically an older version of this shoe:

http://www.montrail.com/Product.aspx...=130&top=1

...and the decreased weight and increased mobility I have is phenomenal. I think the old adage is "a pound on the foot is like 10lbs on the back" and it's one thing I agree with 100%.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, I just bought a pair of Montrails ( link ) that are much heavier than that because I'll be hiking solo and was worried about spraining an ankle. Aren't you concerned about that when wearing low top shoes like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

The concerns about spraining an ankle due to inadequate ankle support are greatly overstated. The big thing to remember is that with big boots, you've effectively got tanks for feet; you don't have any mobility and while you might have a bit more stability, it will end up with you trudging around a lot more and not being able to react/place your feet quickly to avoid sprains.

I've now hiked over 3000 miles in Montrails with overall weights ranging from 15lb for a 3day section to 38lb for a 12 day hike through the Sierras in high-altitude, snow-heavy conditions, and I've yet to have any sort of ankle problem. In fact, when compared to a great pair of Asolos that I used to hike in, I've had far less rolled ankles. Combine that with the feeling I get when I'm still bouncing from rock to rock at the end of the day at a river crossing, when compared to some of my family (especially my Dad) who still insists on heavy-packing, and I'll take my side over the other side any day.

But like I said, it's definitely holistic. I'd probably go ahead with heavier boots if I were, for some reason, carrying 65 or 70lb. But with a 20-25lb load, there's no reason to go heavy on the feet as well.

Rob
Old 08-07-2007, 11:37 PM

I still wanna know what shoe Bear wears. It's some kind of hybrid climber/hiker, lightweight and water tolerant, looks very nice.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:46 AM

I hike in New Balance 471. I used to hike in NB 804AT but they were discontinued, although I think you can still find them on the internet.

Also, Rob is dead on about viewing lightweight hiking holistically. View it as a philosophy on the outdoors and what you are trying to get out of the experience.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I will also say that one of the BIGGEST differences between lightweight and standard backpacking is the choice of footwear. I do all of my hiking in what is basically an older version of this shoe:

http://www.montrail.com/Product.aspx...=130&top=1

...and the decreased weight and increased mobility I have is phenomenal. I think the old adage is "a pound on the foot is like 10lbs on the back" and it's one thing I agree with 100%.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, I just bought a pair of Montrails ( link ) that are much heavier than that because I'll be hiking solo and was worried about spraining an ankle. Aren't you concerned about that when wearing low top shoes like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should probably stick with the heavier ones since you are going solo and you don't do a lot of backpacking IIRC.

I LOVE to hike in lightweight shoes even when I am packing heavy (which is all the time). I have hiked in NB cross trainers carrying like 70 lbs and never worried.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:55 AM

great pics and trip report - wow that's incredible scenery
Old 08-08-2007, 11:51 PM

My Gear -
REI Lite Core sleeping pad - 18 oz
REI sub kilo sleeping bag - 39 oz
REI New Star - ~6 lbs?
REI Pack cover - 6 oz
Asolo Fugitive Hiking boots ~ 50-60 oz? (love these boots)
Tikka XP headlamp - 3.5 oz
REI Elements rain jacket - 13oz?

My group gear
Sierra Designs Lightning Tent (2 person) - 69 oz
Katadyn Hiker water filter - 11 oz
MSR Blacklite Cookware - 18 oz
MSR Whisperlite stove - 13 oz
MSR Fuel bottle (33 ounces) - 7.5 oz
Fuel ~ 20 oz

So that's 11 lbs on my back with just my stuff, not even including clothes and other trinkets knife, compass, book, camera.

9 lbs of group gear that's split two ways. So another 4.5 lbs.

That's only got me at 15 lbs. Two full water bottles is another 4 lbs. Bringing the total to 19.

I forgot about my first aid kit, I've got a pretty hefty one. I'm guessing my pack is close to 30 lbs before I load on food.

So clothes are definitely one area I could improve on. Especially since I bring sandals to lounge around in due to not wanting to wear my heavy boots all the time.

Anyways, I realize this post doesn't serve a whole lot of purpose, I just kind of wanted to do a quick inventory of my gear. Thanks for the insight into your ultra light hiking.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:22 AM

wow this looks great.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:46 AM

I guess I'll find out how much all my stuff weighs when I put it on the scale at the airport tomorrow. It's not going to be pretty, and that's without fuel or water weight. I did consciously try to limit any unnecessary weight, but it seems to add up so quickly.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I'll find out how much all my stuff weighs when I put it on the scale at the airport tomorrow. It's not going to be pretty, and that's without fuel or water weight. I did consciously try to limit any unnecessary weight, but it seems to add up so quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing I do want to make clear is that when we're talking about "base" weight, that's always the weight before food and water. Food, I think, usually runs about 1.5-2lb/person/day, depending on what you like to pack and eat. Water is pretty obvious (1oz per oz, lol), but the amount you're packing and the amount you'll need to pack will vary on locale. In the Enchantments, Kate carried 48oz as a max at any point in time, while I carried 70oz (the full weight of my Camelback, filled). I've had sections of hiking where I've been carrying 10-12lb of water (SoCal Desert), and many sections where I was just carrying 1-2lb (NW Washington and the Sierra-Nevadas with ample snow/snowmelt).

I also forgot to mention my stove/fuel in my post, but otherwise my gearlist is mostly complete there:
http://www.msrcorp.com/stoves/pocket_rocket.asp

Great little stove -- I've cooked all my hiking and most of my general camping meals on it for 6 years now and it's still going strong. Use a few sheets of tinfoil folded up as a windscreen/heatshield and you'll make it more efficient, but it will work quite well as is.

Rob
Old 08-12-2007, 01:44 PM

Nice report and beautiful pictures, thanks