Old 05-11-2007, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Things to do in Vancouver

[ QUOTE ]
Oops forgot the link:

http://www.antonspastabar.com/

[ QUOTE ]
4260 E Hastings Street, Burnaby
Tel: 604-299-1610

Best pasta I've eaten at a good price. The atmosphere isnt that great - crowded and noisy. I usually order take out from there. If you get there at the wrong time you could wait 1.5 hours + to get seated - another reason I prefer to get their takeout.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But you can't get a pen like mine if you do takeout.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Things to do in Vancouver

I recently took my boyfriend for his birthday, and I can tell you what we did for four days: eat.

We also did the aquarium, some shopping and beer sampling, but Vancouver is an amazing place to sample food from a huge cross section of life.

Some places to check out:

Salt Tasting Room
45 Blood Alley, Gastown
www.salttastingroom.com
The primo midnight snack. I don't even remember where I heard about this place, but it's in a really weird place, down this sketchy alley... They are open from noon to midnight and we went at around 11:30 after having some beer at Steamworks, nearby (which was just okay, by the way). They have a rotating board of three different items: meat, cheese and condiment. You can get three of each item on a plate for $15, either choosing it yourself or asking them to pair. I highly recommend Mike Vitow's Corned Beef (more on that later) and any of the Quebec cheeses. I also had a wine tasting flight for another $15, I think.

Sun Sui Wah
3888 Main Street
www.sunsuiwah.com
Before going to Vancouver, I asked a half dozen people their opinion on dim sum. No one really had any recommendations. Even my Chinese friend's mom, who goes to Vancouver all the time, told me to "check at the airport". I guess they aren't as into dim sum as we are. We narrowed it down to a few places (other choices were Pink Pearl, Imperial and Floata) and finally, an hour after landing at the airport were inhaling pumpkin dumplings, salmon and jellyfish salad and an assortment of other specialities at Sun Sui Wah. A little expensive, and busy, but well worth it.

Lumiere
2551 West Broadway
www.lumiere.ca
Just go. Even if only for the cheese platter and petit fours.

Granville Market
Granville Island
My suggestion to you; don't waste your time on the food court. Get a bagel from Siegel's, a slice of one of the dozen pates at Oyama (conveniently located across the way) some BC fruit and have a picnic. I guess you can also rent power boats here by the hour for $40, for that extra romantic date. Also located here, is Mike Vitow. He is a Brooklyn escapee who has lived in Canada for decades and now makes the best corned beef in Canada. Yes, I've been to Schwartz's. He claims it's his spices and the water he uses; whatever it is, it works. The man is a legend on the rise. We bought a corned beef and brought it home, packed up with ice in a cooler bag in the luggage, just as my parents do with brisket from Texas. I recommend you do the same.

Octopus' Garden
1995 Cornwall Avenue
www.octopusgarden.ca
Okay, so it's a bit pricey, and maybe not an every day sushi experience, but sit at the bar and get one of the three omakase settings. We were blown away by bluefin tuna, scorched at the table and lamb...among many other dishes. It's a tiny place and they seem to have been making plans with a designer for renovations, so go while you can. Also extremely close to Kitsilano beach, so go for a stroll post-meal for some sights.

We went to a few other places, including Elixir at the Opus for breakfast (I would have been much more pleased if I hadn't been at Bouchon at the Venetian two week previous) and a quick stop in at Hapa Izakaya to see if they still served horse (they don't). These places were nice, but definite second choices or standbys if everything else is full. Also, get a dog on Robson...unless the frying onions pull you in first and you don't need to be told.