Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf

Old 04-25-2007, 12:37 AM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller
Default I hit everything thin. Advice?

I'm new to the game but I'm already hooked. I know that my head sometimes lifts up, and that's part of the problem. However, even when I keep my head steady, I have a hard time visualizing what perfect ball contact looks and feels like.

The bottom of my swing seems to be in a different place on every swing. I also have a hard time mentally making the club drive into the ground - my instincts wanna avoid the ground.

Any tips on ball contact?

I understand it should be a downward blow as opposed to an upward flip. How do you guys get that dollar-bill divot and get it in the same spot relative to your stance every time?
Old 04-25-2007, 12:53 AM

Default Re: I hit everything thin. Advice?

To keep the bottom of your swing arc consistent there are a couple of things that are very important. Your spine angle has to stay consistent, your left arm at impact has to be extended . Also your weight shift has to be in the right place at the right time. Short irons more on your left side at impact and long irons and woods less weight on your left side than a short iron. Also it does not matter where your eyes are looking at impact, they can be looking at the target or the ball. The keep your head down thing is a myth. Some drills I have done in the past are: pretend your chin is resting on a shelf throughout your swing. Also you can get a high backed chair and put your butt up against it while you hit some shorter shots(this will help you maintain your spine angle) and lastly tee up a five iron and hit it with a baseball weight transfer, lift you left leg into the air on your backswing and then plant your left leg back before impact. A great book for swing drills and mechanincs is "Swing like a pro" By Fred Griffin and Ralph Mann. Good luck!
Old 04-25-2007, 12:56 AM

Also your set up is probably the most important thing in this response, you have to be standing correctly otherwise you will adjust during your swing to the correct posture,example: set up to hunched over and you will unhunch during your swing. I am a big fan of standing tall during set up and swing. Good luck!
Old 04-25-2007, 05:01 AM

I used to hit it fat a lot and I found that when I focused on the front edge of the ball (closest to my target) rather than the top, and tried to make contact with that part, I made much better contact. If you're hitting it thin, maybe try focusing on the back edge of the ball or even slightly behind it and try to swing "at" that point (even though you'll actually be swinging at the correct spot).
Old 04-25-2007, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The bottom of my swing seems to be in a different place on every swing. I also have a hard time mentally making the club drive into the ground - my instincts wanna avoid the ground.

Any tips on ball contact?

[/ QUOTE ]

Take a bag of balls to the chipping green. Lay your golf bag on the ground, across your path to the target, about 4 or 5 feet in front of you.

With your 9 iron, practice hitting chips with the mental picture of driving the ball into the bag. (done correctly, the chips will go over the bag)

Start with short shots. Gradually increase the clubhead speed until you are chipping too far. Take this drill (idea) to the range and practice the same technique on 40 yd shots(still with a 9 iron).

As you get more comfortable with the pinching feeling at impact, gradually lengthen the distance.

The idea is to overcome your instinct to avoid the ground.

Best of luck.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:34 PM

stop hitting it thin.

sorry, that's all I've got for you.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:36 PM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

the spine angle thing is great advice.....
Old 04-25-2007, 01:38 PM

what's the idea behind that drill?.....by aiming low for the bag do you get the clubhead making the correct low follow-through as opposed to lifting up too early?....I'll give it a try...
Old 04-25-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what's the idea behind that drill?.....by aiming low for the bag do you get the clubhead making the correct low follow-through as opposed to lifting up too early?....I'll give it a try...

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much...
If your focus is on driving the ball low into the bag, you should make a more descending blow on the back of ball.
Your hands will be in front of the ball, and you will make a small divot after contact.
In order to eliminate thin shots, you've got to make a habit of making contact with the ball on the descent. This drill is the quickest way I know.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much...
If your focus is on driving the ball low into the bag, you should make a more descending blow on the back of ball.
Your hands will be in front of the ball, and you will make a small divot after contact.
In order to eliminate thin shots, you've got to make a habit of making contact with the ball on the descent. This drill is the quickest way I know.

[/ QUOTE ]

JTrout is spot on. An impact bag will help also and basically does the same thing.