Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Old 04-17-2007, 05:01 AM

Default Some basic questions

Hi Gym Forum, I have never really worked out in a gym before aside from treadmill running and push ups, sit ups type things, at least not in years. Anyways I read through the forum today since Im interested in adding weight lifting into a new workout I want to start mostly just to turn some small amount of flab into muscle (I'm not really over weight just tiny poker gut).

I was hoping people could direct me to some site where there is videos or at least explanations of how to use the various equipement in the gym, and also how to do all the fun excerises I am reading about in these different threads like: squat, deadlift, military press etc. I think I know some of them but the ones I have heard of I would probably do wrong.

If anyone wants to chime in on which ones would be best for me from the limited amount of info I gave that would be cool too. (Im 6'0 175ish)
Old 04-17-2007, 05:09 AM

Default Re: Some basic questions

spend 30 bucks on Mark Rippetoe's book "starting strength". It goes into fine detail on proper form for major exercises such as squats, deadlifts, bench press, military press and power cleans. I believe it was written for coaches, so it has good tips/coaching cues to help teach the form to others.

Also, he suggests a training program that will make a newbie like you (and me) add a lot of strength consistently.

Also, a good website is exrx.net, it has a animated gifs of proper form for any lift you could imagine.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:17 AM

Pete if you're still in London then I'm in the UCC gym everyday and I wouldn't mind helping you out.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:16 AM

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

click which body part you want to work on the right side, and it will list a bunch of exercises and how to do each (with .gif or whatever). helpfull site to help put a program together.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:49 AM

another site i found that has video of the lifts is precisionnutrition.com...they have a ton of vids shot at all different angles which is great...i think you have to make a login, but its free...
Old 04-17-2007, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
spend 30 bucks on Mark Rippetoe's book "starting strength". It goes into fine detail on proper form for major exercises such as squats, deadlifts, bench press, military press and power cleans. I believe it was written for coaches, so it has good tips/coaching cues to help teach the form to others.

Also, he suggests a training program that will make a newbie like you (and me) add a lot of strength consistently.

Also, a good website is exrx.net, it has a animated gifs of proper form for any lift you could imagine.

[/ QUOTE ]
The entire internet seems to be in love with this book. I just bought it, felt like I had to. I wonder if it can live up to the hype.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:14 PM

Alot of websites have video demonstrations of various exercises. Getting a buddy to come in with you will prolly be the best thing.

Or better yet your pretty rich, get a trainer for a couple sessions. You dont have to stay with him forever but if you really have no experience a couple of sessions might work out for you.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:37 PM

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html
Old 04-17-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pete if you're still in London then I'm in the UCC gym everyday and I wouldn't mind helping you out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really appreciate the offer but I'm all moved out of London now. The thought of learning how to lift weights from guy that can bench like 6 times my weight is cool though [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]