Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 09:05 AM

Default Re: BFI August [censored] Thread

Someone posted a link to a website with allot of articles, I believe it was in response to something DcifrThs said anyone still got that link?
Old 08-12-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Well, except that a lot of consumers buying those goods were doing so with home equity loans and stock market gains. They don't feel quite so flush right now and may turn off the money faucet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but that's just a general recession, right? Anyway, my other major idea was to put all my money in cash and wait for the foreclosures to really get underway, maybe about a year from now, and try to pick up a house dirt cheap.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:01 PM

How is the headline that Goldman has to bail out yet another failing fund with 3B of its own cash good news?! Has everyone gone insane?
In other news I'm having a pretty good day with all of my shorts falling today... unfortunately since I have no plans of cashing out until the trend changes that doesn't really mean much.

Kirk
Old 08-13-2007, 06:13 PM

This isn't considered bailing it out. And a lot of the capital isn't sepcifically Goldman's that they raised. This is a bunch of rich people (Goldman Sachs Co., some rich billionaire guy, and one other firm I think) buying into the fund because they think things are going to turn around.

It's not like Bear Stearns where its collateral was going to be seized and thus the parent comes in to save the day (well, absorb the loss anyway). This is being spun (that might be the wrong word) as people seeing the market as having overreacted and now are pouring money in to get in near the bottom.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:31 PM

That makes sense... sort of. My only argument is, with more and more banks/homebuilders/mrtge brokers/hedge funds coming out of the I'm-in-really-deep-[censored] closet, how can anyone reasonable assume we're anywhere near the bottom?

Kirk
Old 08-13-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That makes sense... sort of. My only argument is, with more and more banks/homebuilders/mrtge brokers/hedge funds coming out of the I'm-in-really-deep-[censored] closet, how can anyone reasonable assume we're anywhere near the bottom?

Kirk

[/ QUOTE ]

the bottom of the quant equity long/short "market" (GS NAEO/GEO, AQR, DE Shaw, etc all having similar positions and all taking hits as everyone reduces leverage and as multi-strat funds reduce their exposure to that strategy after others have gotten screwed) need not have anything to do with the bottom of the general market drawdown.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:23 PM

can someone please recommend me a good bedtime reading book.

something finance based but not as in a learning book, more of an interesting read about the finance industry/particular person in the finance world.

many thanks.

ps i've read the first 100 pages on liar's poker on holiday once but wasnt my copy and had to give it back. thought that was okay.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:27 PM

Any good recs for some construction companies? I'm looking to take some risk so small market value with lots of room room to go grow would be great.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

something finance based but not as in a learning book, more of an interesting read about the finance industry/particular person in the finance world.

many thanks.

ps i've read the first 100 pages on liar's poker on holiday once but wasnt my copy and had to give it back. thought that was okay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both "How I made 2M in the stock market" by Darvas and "Reminiscences of a Stock Operator" are really great books if you havne't read them already. They capture your interest and hold it and you can understand everything even if you're tired by day's end.

Kirk
Old 08-14-2007, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

many thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both "How I made 2M in the stock market" by Darvas and "Reminiscences of a Stock Operator" are really great books if you havne't read them already. They capture your interest and hold it and you can understand everything even if you're tired by day's end.

Kirk

[/ QUOTE ]

"my life as a quant" by derman if you're at all mathy/nerdy