Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2007, 12:15 AM

Default Vegas Hotels Strato vs. Excalibur vs. Luxor

I am looking at some air/hotel packages to come out to vegas. I have a few hotel options and I am wondering which is best. I would like something nice and fairly close to the action on the strip.

Here are the hotels and price differences. This is for two nights.
Stratosphere = Cheapest
Excalibur = +$90
Luxor = +$140

which would you chose?
Old 01-17-2007, 12:20 AM

Default Re: Vegas Hotels Strato vs. Excalibur vs. Luxor

honestly - they are all equally sucky. Luxor is the best located for your needs I assume, but Stratosphere is right down the block from the monorail. Honestly, they are all horrible in the most important department - the bed and the bathroom.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 01-17-2007, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
honestly - they are all equally sucky. Luxor is the best located for your needs I assume, but Stratosphere is right down the block from the monorail. Honestly, they are all horrible in the most important department - the bed and the bathroom.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

Get a different hotel
Old 01-17-2007, 03:34 AM

Luxor is the best of the three, by far. The rooms seemed new and I liked the decor. I only stayed in the tower which is newer than the pyramid. I always considered Luxor to be in the upper-middle echelon of Vegas hotel rooms, but I don't know what kind of standards the above posters have.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:09 AM

Of these three I'd pick Excalibur based on location.

Stratosphere is the bottom of the barrel. There's a reason it's cheap. It's next to nothing, neighborhood is bad, yaddayadda. But it has beds and locks on the doors so if you have a car and don't mind driving to get everywhere, it'll work.

Excalibur is a small step up, probably, and the location is far better. Its neighbors are Luxor, Tropicana, NYNY, and MGM diagonally.

Luxor is south of Excal and farther from other stuff. Luxor is next to nothing except Mandalay and Excalibur.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Stratosphere is the bottom of the barrel. There's a reason it's cheap. It's next to nothing, neighborhood is bad, yaddayadda. But it has beds and locks on the doors so if you have a car and don't mind driving to get everywhere, it'll work.

Excalibur is a small step up, probably, and the location is far better. Its neighbors are Luxor, Tropicana, NYNY, and MGM diagonally.

Luxor is south of Excal and farther from other stuff. Luxor is next to nothing except Mandalay and Excalibur.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this.

However, I disagree with TT's assesment of Luxor's rooms ASSUMING that you would be staying in the tower rooms, not the pyramid ones. I would compare the tower rooms at Luxor as very slightly nicer than other 3 star places like Harrahs. Is it worth $25 a night more than Ex? Maybe.

IMO, it basically comes down to why you are going to Vegas and what you will do while you are there. If your goal is lower limit poker, Excalibur is your best stay of the three. The reason is that Excalibur already has a decent small poker room, its an easy walk to the best south strip poker room at MGM, and you also have easy walking/tram access to MB, Luxor, Hooters, Trop, and NYNY. There are bridges connecting MGM, NYNY, Trop, and Ex. So its easy to get from one to the other.

Stratosphere is hella far from everything and its worth $45 a night to stay at ex based only on location.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:30 AM

Harrah's newly renovated rooms are very nice. The mattress is one of the most comfortable I've slept on and there is a nice flatscreen too
Old 01-17-2007, 09:41 AM

Try the Golden Palm, LOL. Real classy joint in a great location.

To you Vegas guys, is that place even still around? I stayed there for 2 weeks a few years back, and that was the last time I stayed anywhere but right on the strip. I was nervous even when I was in my room with the door double latched in that hole. I think I prolly looked like Phil Ivey when I was walking from the GP to the strip, my eyes were darting everywhere trying to spot out potential trouble.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Stratosphere is the bottom of the barrel. There's a reason it's cheap. It's next to nothing,

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the strip club is right across the street.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Try the Golden Palm, LOL. Real classy joint in a great location.

To you Vegas guys, is that place even still around? I stayed there for 2 weeks a few years back, and that was the last time I stayed anywhere but right on the strip. I was nervous even when I was in my room with the door double latched in that hole. I think I prolly looked like Phil Ivey when I was walking from the GP to the strip, my eyes were darting everywhere trying to spot out potential trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha, yeah, its still there.. I stayed there in october. It was super cheap, and I thought the walk to the excaliber was borderline-OK... at 10am. I wouldn't do it at night. The best was getting in a cab and saying "The Golden Palm", and the dude goes, "oh, the palms?", and I'm all, "no, the Golden Palm by the Excaliber", and I could hear a marked change in tone as he said, "oh, yeah, I know that place."

The karaoke lounge was an experience.. a lot of local regulars it seemed like.

I thought it was a fine place to stay actually for my purposes. I only slept for about 8 hours in 3 days, so wasn't in the room much anyways. They were pretty ghetto rooms though...

Think I'm going to stay at the mirage my next trip though.. going with my girlfriend, so I can't totally slum it.