Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2007, 01:22 PM

Default Re: How to never feel the emotion guilt again.

[ QUOTE ]
What is guilt? Do we have to do something wrong to feel guilty?

[/ QUOTE ]

They're not directly connected.
You can feel guilty for no reason, as far as an act of yours goes.
It's an emotion, so too much carrot juice may trigger it.

Obviously we evolved it, as have other animals, to make a social group work but it can/does trigger in situations totally unrelated to the need for a quilty feeling. For the most part, it kicks in when we think ( if subconsciously is thinking) that we have screwed up, caused harm, etc. It's not correlated as well with the actual situation as sunburn is to sunshine.

I almost feel guilty writing this, since it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, and I don't,

luckyme
Old 09-22-2007, 04:00 PM

I have a personality quirk in that I feel guilt at strange times. I often feel guilt at throwing something away - a food wrapper or broken pen, for example. My guilt is very specific - I feel that the object served me well, and I'm repaying it by putting it in the trash, relegating it to a life in the landfill (which it clearly doesn't deserve). Sometimes I can't bring myself to act rationally, and I just hang on to the object until the feeling passes (sometimes for a matter of days or weeks).

Is this rational? Hell no. It's probably related to the autistic spectrum. So for those who suggest that feelings of guilt are indicative of a sinful nature - explanation? (Maybe I'm just repressing my guilt at rejecting God, and it's coming out in neurosis. Heh.)
Old 09-22-2007, 05:58 PM

yesss
welcome back madnak
Old 09-22-2007, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do the right thing from now on. A man with a busy and virtuous life should be able to avoid guilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, shame and guilt are the principle tools enforcing any social norm. The only way to escape them would be to cease to be human. Even a hermit feels guilt.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Sorry, did I mislead you?

I have no idea, I want yours...

[/ QUOTE ]

You feel guilty because you are guilty.

Romans 2:
15in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them,

There are only two solutions:

1. Deny the guilt until your heart is so hard you can no longer repent.

2. Repent and accept God's forgiveness.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do the right thing from now on. A man with a busy and virtuous life should be able to avoid guilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, shame and guilt are the principle tools enforcing any social norm. The only way to escape them would be to cease to be human. Even a hermit feels guilt.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've never felt guilty about anything I've done. There have been fleeting "gee...I shouldn't have done that, won't do it again" type moments, but no guilt.

I'm pretty sure that's not uncommon. Why would anyone who acts mostly in accordance with their conscience feel guilty?
Old 09-23-2007, 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Sorry, did I mislead you?

I have no idea, I want yours...

[/ QUOTE ]

You feel guilty because you are guilty.

Romans 2:
15in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them,

1. Deny the guilt until your heart is so hard you can no longer repent.

2. Repent and accept God's forgiveness.

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

He feels guilty because a galactic warlord called Xenu blew up the corpses of dead people with hydrogen bombs 75 million years ago, causing their souls (Thetans) to cluster around the bodies of the living, blocking their ability to self determination. Christianity is but one of the binds that these Thetans place on people.

1. Deny the truth of this while the Thetans continue to impede your soul, until your heart is so controlled that you know longer know who you are.

2. Seek the help of an experienced practioner to free you from the clutches of these Thetans and put you on a path enlightenment.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never felt guilty about anything I've done. There have been fleeting "gee...I shouldn't have done that, won't do it again" type moments, but no guilt.

I'm pretty sure that's not uncommon. Why would anyone who acts mostly in accordance with their conscience feel guilty?

[/ QUOTE ]
I envy you (and think it is uncommon).

I feel guilt in situations where I've weighed options and made a choice - a choice I later feel was not only wrong, but also where I think I should have been able to work out it was wrong.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1. Death.
2. Become a sociopath (the political correct term these days is to have antisocial personality disorder).

And...er...I'm pretty certain that sums it up really.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree this sums things up, but how to go about (2)? What makes a sociopath? Let's ignore the explanations that go to nature and just focus on the things that we can control that might help us enter the nonguilty sociopathological state.

My suggestion: Meditate on the ineherent hypocrisy and selfishness of all humanity, nurse a quiet contempt for it, and then one day you'll come to the realization that all humankind is so cruel, worthless, and deserving of punishment that anything bad you do to any human being is no less than what he or she deserves anyhow. While you will never feel guilty again, you will of course be trading in a host of other (positive) emotions that also go hand in hand with relating to others of the species.

As for guilt about non-human animals. Well, miseries the river of the world.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:46 AM

There is little knowledge of what 'makes' a sociopath. You see very high number of sociopaths in prisons, but there is no clarity if sociopaths commits crimes more readily , and hence more sociopaths get sent to prison or if the harsh reality in prisons makes people sociopathic.

So nobody really knows. Some estimates suggest 2-3% of the human population has sociopathic tendencies, which would be a real killer for utopian ideals atleast (nice pun, I'm proud).