Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes

Old 03-26-2007, 11:38 PM

Default 1-2 NL live flopped trips, line check

Holla,

I'd like a little bit of feedback on the following hand from the Foxwoods 1-2 NL game last night; a friend of mine was asking for my opinion on it today (he apparently thinks its of some value, I guess we'll find out).

Unfortunately, we are lacking a read of the villains and the table as a whole, but this is the 1-2 NL game at FW and tends to play very loose, and on the passive side (er, see flop action). Here we go:

Hero is in the BB with ~170 to start the hand.
Hero is dealt A9o in SB.

Five callers PF, hero calls, BB checks.

7 to the flop (14 in pot)

Flop: 9 9 J rainbow

Hero BETS 20
BB Folds
V1 CALLS
V2 CALLS
V3 Folds
V4 CALLS
V5 CALLS

Turn (114 in pot)

10 (not sure if it made 2 to a flush or not)

Hero . . . ?????

I'd really like the advice about this part of the hand in particular. We have about 150 behind at this point.

This is how the turn action went:

Hero BETS 20

V1 moves all in for 75 total.
V2 Folds
V4 cold calls 75 and has us covered
V5 Folds

Hero . . . ??????
Old 03-26-2007, 11:41 PM

Default Re: 1-2 NL live flopped trips, line check

Turn check is better than this WEAKSAUCE bet... I still call and try to fill? Looks rele like ur up against 9T or JT tho (since u have a9, its less likely)... those r rele the only 9x hands that call ap reflop raise... i don't think k9 does. Determine pot odds- if ur gettin ~3:1 u should call and reeval riv. You coul dvery easily be up against straight so jus play this pot to fill up if ur gettin correct odds on turn.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:07 AM

No preflop raise - so hands can be almost anywhere in the 9x range.

And I agree, the turn bet is really pretty bad.

No other advice?
Old 03-27-2007, 12:39 AM

1) What is the purpose of the flop bet. You have bet 1.5x the size of the pot. Are you trying to fold people out or get action from donk hands. This isn't criticism, it's a serious question. If it's a poorly played table and you think you can build a pot against Jx or worse 9x, this is great. But otherwise, I'm not sure what leading out for this much does.

2) Called in four spots. Turn, 10. Entirely possible that other than a J, this is the worst possible turn card in the deck for you. This completes three gutshots, fills up T9 (extremely common live limp hand) and creates a massive straight draw in case you are still good but get to the river with chips. A serious case can be made for shutting down here. I don't fault going broke because you have less than a full buy in and only basically a pot-sized bet left, but this turn card is disgusting.

3) I have no idea in the world what the $20 turn bet is.

4) You can call once it goes shove/cold call 75, as stated above I wouldn't fault it, but honestly you are very likely behind now.

5) RiverHebrew, you want him to cold call and re-evaluate river? If he does this he will go to the river with 75 left and be looking at a pot of 340, what are you looking for him to do then?
Old 03-27-2007, 12:56 AM

I dunno. The cold call scares me. Your probably up against either JT and a straight, or a straight and a full house. In either case, youre drawing extremely slim.

Your best bet is to be up against JT and Q9...which youd still lose to what? 15 cards? K, Q, J, T, 8? I think you fold baring any read.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:29 AM

i have played this game and these players are sooo bad. i would go all in here 100 percent of the time -
dont be scared that he cold called 75 in the 118 pot these donks cold call with marginal hands all the time and just love to get there money in bad if the pot size gets big.
- u were only 170 deep to start the hand this is an incrediblly easy shove.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:46 PM

IRT 'what is the purpose of the flop bet' -

This game is not the 200 NL game online, it's the FW 1-2 donkfest. The fact that there were 4 callers is an indication that people are calling over-pot sized bets on the flop with much less than the nuts.

Actually, I think that the 20 lead on the flop was the only decent part of the hand. Most 9's will probably raise, allowing us to get it all in on the flop - I think this would be the ideal situation here.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:48 PM

IMHO probably the most accurate response here. Again, although we do not have specific reads, the general sentiment that the FW 1-2 typical players are terrible is spot - on.

I think getting it in here every time is correct as well. This is a higher variance gameplan, but other lines on this hand are losing way too much value when your opponents are calling/raising here with much less a lot of the time.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMHO probably the most accurate response here. Again, although we do not have specific reads, the general sentiment that the FW 1-2 typical players are terrible is spot - on.

I think getting it in here every time is correct as well. This is a higher variance gameplan, but other lines on this hand are losing way too much value when your opponents are calling/raising here with much less a lot of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

So why did you ask if your going to take the easy answer? If this is such an easy game, you shouldn't even be posting this here. BTW your turn bet is rediculously weak. As someone else stated, if your going to bet 1/5th the pot you might as well check.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:46 PM

It wasn't 'my' turn bet. . . I'm posting this to get some advice for a friend who played down there last weekend.

I was really posting to check out what people thought about a push on the turn, which would be a slight over-bet but may or may not be the right move on such a draw heavy board. I would push figuring that any better hand will certainly call and most 9's will also probably call in this game. Based on those parameters, would a push be profitable??