Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 02:21 PM

Default Good river card

For him. This is a hand from memory sometime earlier in the week. It's 1/2 Stars.

Hero is BB with 86o.

UTG limps, another player limps, a decent TAG on the button raises (could be 2+2, but not sure, but let's assume he's competent and aggressive), SB folds, I call and both limpers call. Both of the limpers are loose passive and random aggressive as always.

The flop comes T95r.

Limpers check, button bets, I call and the limpers call.

The turn is 7, giving a possible flush draw.

I bet, the limpers fold, button raises, I reraise, button caps, I call.

The river is a T.

#%^^&^&%^%$$#%#$#$%@@#@@@
Old 09-21-2007, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Good river card

Fold preflop.

Flop is close getting 9-1 not closing the action on a board where more action is very possible, with a non-nut gutshot draw.

Turn is standard.

Check/call river.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop.

Flop is close getting 9-1 not closing the action on a board where more action is very possible, with a non-nut gutshot draw.

Turn is standard.

Check/call river.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is you on the button ILP, am I ever good on this river?
Old 09-21-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop.

Turn is standard.

Check/call river.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is you on the button ILP, am I ever good on this river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not. I always have the nuts. Thats how I pay the bills. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Seriously though I couldnt have one hand here cuz Im not raising J8s preflop and Im not capping a set on the turn. I agree with you though that against me you are never winning on the river, but youre not playing against me, youre playing against a 1-2 player. You have to call this river. This is the classic big pot hope for a miracle call.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
call preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed it for you ILP. Stop folding playable hands for 1 bet getting those odds with morons in the pot.

Of course I cant prove that calling is +EV. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

@ OP. I want to fold the river as well. But you just never know. Call and hope he is tilting or misclicked turn with KKo AA and now thinks he has a valuebet.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:49 PM

yeah I would say that I never fold this preflop. And I think if you don't spew postflop you shouldn't fold.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
call preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed it for you ILP. Stop folding playable hands for 1 bet getting those odds with morons in the pot.

Of course I cant prove that calling is +EV. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I cant prove that calling preflop is -EV either. Judging from your past posts it is evident to me that you are alot looser than I am in these kind of spots and I have given your suggestions some thought. In the end though, with no proof supporting your ideas or my ideas, I am forced to fall back on the teachings of the books I read long ago. With a garbage unsuited one gapper, with the worst possible relative postion, getting 7-1, I was taught to fold, so I will keep folding.

I am not saying my way is right, but it is very hard for me to change my "tight" ways becuz my formula has been so successful for me. I do believe preflop is a fold. My beliefs pertaing to this specific situatioon have largely been shaped by all the poker authors Ive learned from back in the beginning stages. I am fully aware that they could be wrong.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:11 PM

Are you referring to SSHE where he talks about how even suited connectors prefer to see the flop for only 1 bet and if you get raised with one you're probably not making money with it in the long run? He also talks about how you can call an unsuited connector for 1 bet in position if there are a lot of limpers. I'm not sure how that all relates to short handed online these days, but it probably still holds and I'm too loose pre-flop in these spots. People tend to play weaker hands in short handed, so relative hand strengths should go up.

Here's a similar situation where I'm probably too loose:

What is your calling range in this situation:

You're in the BB.

An aggressive player raises on the button.
A loose passive player calls in the SB.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:12 PM

I call this preflop too, can't prove one way or another whether it's EV+/-. So,

[ QUOTE ]
I am not saying my way is right, but it is very hard for me to change my "loose" ways becuz my formula has been so successful for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will say however that when you play in a small player pool of bad players calling here can be huge. I can't begin to tell you how much money I've made in the last year because I'll show up on the river with trash in a pf raised pot, or I raise preflop with 7 high, or I 3bet with T high, or I chased a gutshot or AK to the river. 100% of the bad players I play with regularly think I'm an AWFUL player who is running insanely good.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:33 PM

I would guess its pretty close either way. I would tend to fold in 1-2, simply because I don't think its worth funnelling money down the rake.

You're out of position against a decent player who is not stealing, and two bad players that are going to make you show down the best hand.

You're getting good odds, but I think you'll have to play perfectly to show any long term profit.

[ QUOTE ]
I call this preflop too, can't prove one way or another whether it's EV+/-. So,

[/ QUOTE ]