Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2007, 03:40 AM

Default Re: 2008 National Champions (NCAAF)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Washington Huskies.

Hey, I can dream, can't I? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Bernie,

The reasoning behind your undying hate for the Irish finally became clear to me: You have justified apprehension that Tyrone Willingham will set your program back the 5+ years that he did for Notre Dame. If you are unclear about what I'm saying, take a look at only the handful of JRs and SRs that will start for ND next season due to Ty's atrocious recruiting. CW was fortunate to win as much as he has over the last 2 seasons with the lack of depth and talent at key postions on the team. Unfortunately, ND will not be in the mix again until maybe '08 or '09.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing to do with it. I hated them when Willingham was there, and before he was there.

Willingham is doing a fine job at UW. See the Huskies 2 years ago as compared to how they're doing now. You don't get much worse than back then.
If ND does well, I'm sure it will be Weiss genius, though if they do bad, it will be on Willingham. God forbid that Weiss may not be as good as everyone thinks.

Direct comparison? ND vs USC this year. UW did better with much worse talent. Almost won 8 games with that bad of a team. I guess it's tough to play with a heisman hopeful at QB, a good RB and a good WR.

ND will be in the mix next year. They'll lose their 10th str8 bowl game. Probably another BCS bowl they shouldn't be in.

b
Old 01-08-2007, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I would bet the farm on Auburn +4 against L'ville. Defense wins football games.

[/ QUOTE ]

After the way they finished? Wow.

Beat 4-8 Ole Miss by 6.
Beat Ark St by 27.
Get destroyed by Georgia 15-37.
Beat 6-7 Bama by 7.
Beat Nebraska by 3.

I'm not really impressed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Auburn is 8-1 vs the top ten the last three years with the one loss coming @ Baton Rouge in OT in a game where Vaughn missed 5 FGs. Vaughn missed 4 this year by comparison (20/24.) You can throw your style points out the window when talking about Auburn.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:32 PM

lastchance,

Even looking at the predictor which doesn't tell you anything other than trends (right?), that if LSU played Louisville in a bowl that you can honestly say that Louisville would be -4.5...seriously? That is nuts. That game would have been even money.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:29 PM

1a-USC
1b-Michigan
Old 01-08-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Terrabon - i'll take a coach who can consistantly put a great team on the field but isn't a good playcaller over the opposite any day. Noone is more responsible for the quality of their football team than a college head coach. The fact that Michigan can beat 75% of their opponents by just relying on having better players means Carr is doing a hell of a job.

People used to say Tom Osborne couldn't get it done with his antiquated offense and predictable playcalling to. Don't be so quick to criticize someone who has kept your program at an elite level for so long.

[/ QUOTE ]

Osborne was an offensive genius.

[/ QUOTE ]

Comparing Carr to Osborne is like comparing nfl coaches Switzer to Belichek.

The only reason Carr still has his job is because of the 97 season, the last year of the exclusive big 10 - pac 10 tiein to rosebowl, when both conferences chose playing each other in the rose bowl over participating in the NC process. Michigan played Wash St., who wasn't even in the top 10, and got to avoid Nebraska, who would most likely of beat them by 2+ scores, and for some reason (likely incompetence) the A.P. pollsters put UM at #1.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:55 PM

USC is prolly gonna own, but its BS cause their schedule is cake every year. They would not be that good if they were in the big 10
Old 01-08-2007, 02:56 PM

Should the sarcasm detector be on red?
Old 01-08-2007, 03:10 PM

capone,

The detector exploded.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Comparing Carr to Osborne is like comparing nfl coaches Switzer to Belichek.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, but close enough..

[ QUOTE ]
The only reason Carr still has his job is because of the 97 season, the last year of the exclusive big 10 - pac 10 tiein to rosebowl, when both conferences chose playing each other in the rose bowl over participating in the NC process.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely untrue.

[ QUOTE ]
Michigan played Wash St., who wasn't even in the top 10, and got to avoid Nebraska, who would most likely of beat them by 2+ scores, and for some reason (likely incompetence) the A.P. pollsters put UM at #1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be an idiot
Old 01-08-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The only reason Carr still has his job is because of the 97 season, the last year of the exclusive big 10 - pac 10 tiein to rosebowl, when both conferences chose playing each other in the rose bowl over participating in the NC process.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely untrue.

[/ QUOTE ]

I respectively disagree, without their '97 AP trophy, Carr would be squarely in Jon Cooper territory now, unless Bo still had enough influence to stop it from happening before he passed. However, I am basing this off of every Michigan fan I talk to or have ever known. Obviously, if the big boosters are in/stayed in Carr's corner, he wouldn't get axed.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Michigan played Wash St., who wasn't even in the top 10, and got to avoid Nebraska, who would most likely of beat them by 2+ scores, and for some reason (likely incompetence) the A.P. pollsters put UM at #1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be an idiot

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, at the idiot comment. UM had an incredible defense that year, but it wasn't built to defend the option. Their best player (Woodson) would have been completely neutralized on defense. Nebraska would of done the same thing to um's defense that they did to tennessee's, which had comparable talent to michigan's defense.

Um's offense was above average at best, and they had an immobile quarterback. The only offenses that gave NU any trouble that year had mobile qb's, who could avoid the husker's fiece pass rush and buy time/pick up 1st downs running.

The bottom line is, football games are won in the trenches, and '97 Nebraska had better lines on both sides of the ball. Unless the huskers turned the ball over several times, like at Mizzou earlier that season, it wouldn't have been much of a ball game.