Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2006, 08:08 PM

Default Re: NFL replay question - What if?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In essence, then, there's not really a rule change. There just an instruction to be more lenient in letting plays continue and not blowing the whistle so quick. I assume if the whistle is blown -- hence declaring the play dead -- then that cannot be reversed. I could be wrong, again, though. Haha.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm afraid you are once again wrong. Check the post above yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

I may be wrong, but it's not proven by the post above mine. That says nothing of when the whistle blew on that play. It simply says the call made on the field was down by contact.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm still against replay overall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phew. I was starting to think I was the only one.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In essence, then, there's not really a rule change. There just an instruction to be more lenient in letting plays continue and not blowing the whistle so quick. I assume if the whistle is blown -- hence declaring the play dead -- then that cannot be reversed. I could be wrong, again, though. Haha.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I may be wrong, but it's not proven by the post above mine. That says nothing of when the whistle blew on that play. It simply says the call made on the field was down by contact.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do referees indicate a play is over because they have ruled the ball carrier "down by contact"?
Old 11-07-2006, 09:43 PM

Obvious answer...the NFL refs do what they want. Who has time to read a rule book when you have a regular 9 to 5?

If they think you called heads, well damn, you just called heads. It doesn't matter if everyone in America heard you call tails on National TV on Thanksgiving Day.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do referees indicate a play is over because they have ruled the ball carrier "down by contact"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I interpreted the situation to mean that the entire play happened, Plummer lost the ball, Colts recovered -- no whistles blew, play was allowed to continue, as it has been indicated that the refs are now encouraged to do.

After the Colts guy was down, the whistle blew, the referees got together, and they decided that Plummer was down by contact. That was challenged, and it was decided that he was not down, but in fact it was a fumble.

Is that clearer?
Old 11-07-2006, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They blow the wistle. but things that happen after the wistle can be considered on review. The rule is pretty messed up right now.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:37 PM

JordanIB,

It appears you are trolling, but I'll bite and just assume you are being obtuse. You said:

[ QUOTE ]
I assume if the whistle is blown -- hence declaring the play dead -- then that cannot be reversed. I could be wrong, again, though. Haha.

[/ QUOTE ]

I indicated you were wrong, and directed you to Indyguy's post, which states:

[ QUOTE ]
During the spring owner's meetings, the Competition Committee ruled that losses of possession ruled dead on the "down by contact" rule could be reviewed, as they had not been in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]

The referees blow the whistle to indicate they have ruled a ball carrier down by contact.

Prior to the 2006 rule changes, the NFL rule was:
[ QUOTE ]
When a runner is ruled down by contact, the covering official blows his whistle, thus, killing the play. The reason it is not reviewable is because the whistle prevents the defensive team from successfully recovering the ball if it was fumbled and prevents the offensive team from further advancing the ball because of the whistle.

[/ QUOTE ] link

In 2006, this rule has been changed:

[ QUOTE ]
Also supported was a change to the down-by-contact rule that will allow plays to be reviewed even if the whistle has been blown before a loose ball is recovered.

''People became comfortable that the whistle did not stop players from playing the [loose] ball," McKay said. If a down-by-contact ruling is changed by a review, the ball belongs to the recovering player at the spot of the recovery. Any advance is nullified. If the referee does not have indisputable evidence as to which player recovered the fumble, the ruling of down by contact will stand.

[/ QUOTE ]
link
Old 11-07-2006, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm still against replay overall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phew. I was starting to think I was the only one.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-07-2006, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
JordanIB,

It appears you are trolling, but I'll bite and just assume you are being obtuse. You said:

[ QUOTE ]
I assume if the whistle is blown -- hence declaring the play dead -- then that cannot be reversed. I could be wrong, again, though. Haha.

[/ QUOTE ]

I indicated you were wrong, and directed you to Indyguy's post, which states:

[ QUOTE ]
During the spring owner's meetings, the Competition Committee ruled that losses of possession ruled dead on the "down by contact" rule could be reviewed, as they had not been in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]

The referees blow the whistle to indicate they have ruled a ball carrier down by contact.

Prior to the 2006 rule changes, the NFL rule was:
[ QUOTE ]
When a runner is ruled down by contact, the covering official blows his whistle, thus, killing the play. The reason it is not reviewable is because the whistle prevents the defensive team from successfully recovering the ball if it was fumbled and prevents the offensive team from further advancing the ball because of the whistle.

[/ QUOTE ] link

In 2006, this rule has been changed:

[ QUOTE ]
Also supported was a change to the down-by-contact rule that will allow plays to be reviewed even if the whistle has been blown before a loose ball is recovered.

''People became comfortable that the whistle did not stop players from playing the [loose] ball," McKay said. If a down-by-contact ruling is changed by a review, the ball belongs to the recovering player at the spot of the recovery. Any advance is nullified. If the referee does not have indisputable evidence as to which player recovered the fumble, the ruling of down by contact will stand.

[/ QUOTE ]
link

[/ QUOTE ]

That clarifies things. The quote especially. I simply was not equating "ruled down by contact" with "the whistle blew." I was thinking of it akin to a play in baseball where a guy hits a ball, the play is allowed to unfold, and it appears he has a triple. The umpires huddle up and decide that in fact it was a ground-rule double. That's what I was envisioning in the fumble-then-ruled-down-by-contact scenario.

But, given the clarification, my original point regading the rule change still stands:

[ QUOTE ]
I will say though, that I think that's a horrendous rule change. I think it's terrible to be able to have a sequence of events stand when they happened after you told everyone the play was dead.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-08-2006, 02:26 AM

the ball has to be recovered before any whistle is blown. And if the player(QB) is ruled in the grasp or if the rule forward progress to be finished, then it cannot be challenged, regardless of when the whistle was blown.

I didn't read the 5 replies before this one, so I dont know if this has been said already.