Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2006, 05:50 PM

Default Re: BS call againts Jets.

I like niss' idea a lot too.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:48 PM

The call was terrible, but that is what you get for having that stupid rule (and making it unreviewable).

I prefer the college rule. You only have to get one foot in, but you have to get it in. If you are pushed out, too bad.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's amazing the NFL has as strong and loyal a fanbase as it does, considering how routinely the refs rape both the teams and the fans.

[/ QUOTE ]

In general, I think the NFL officials are better than the official in other team sports.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

also, in regards to fumbles and catches etc, refs should never whistle a play dead

[/ QUOTE ]This suggestion would last until a star player got hurt on a play in which he stopped playing because it was clear to him that the play was over but the refs didn't whistle it dead and he got hit when he wasn't ready. Imagine if this happened to a star QB...the outrage of the fans would be enormous.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the time someone first starts playing, they are taught to play until the whistle. If someone stops playing and gets hurt, it is their own fault, just like a boxer who decides to stop defending himself.

This is why it drives me nuts when they penalize for hits that are just slightly out of bounds when there hasn't been any whistle.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:57 PM

niss, i think you missed that bengals play. they hit gradkowski while he still had the ball in his hand. they didnt hit him high, or low. the lineman wrapped him up and took him down in one motion, so it wasnt in the grasp.

otherwise i like your idea.

assani, why would players top paying attention if someone just fumbled or possibly fumbled? players are taught to play from whistle to whistle.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

also, in regards to fumbles and catches etc, refs should never whistle a play dead

[/ QUOTE ]This suggestion would last until a star player got hurt on a play in which he stopped playing because it was clear to him that the play was over but the refs didn't whistle it dead and he got hit when he wasn't ready. Imagine if this happened to a star QB...the outrage of the fans would be enormous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Teams can get screwed by this if they don't have any timeouts left and it's before the 2 minute warning. It's already happened once (Mike Furrey "intercepted" an Aaron Brooks pass from Ernie Conwell, when Ernie had been on the ground for a full second), but since it was the Saints and Rams nobody cared.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:03 PM

i like Niss' idea in general, but have trouble giving refs even more judgment calls
Old 10-30-2006, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My solution -- if they feel they need to protect the QB to such an extreme -- is to do what they did with roughing the kicker. Make a new 5-yd penalty for "running into the QB" or "unintentional contact with the QB", and keep the 15-yd personal foul for the worst cases.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that a lot too. The only concern that I can see would be how you justify not making that 5 yds an automatic 1st down when "illegal contact" and defensive holding are.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's amazing the NFL has as strong and loyal a fanbase as it does, considering how routinely the refs rape both the teams and the fans.

The review system is terrible, almost everythign should be reviewable or everything shouldn't be. None of this "if we call it this way we can, but if we call it this way we can't" crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

The NFL has fans?
Old 10-30-2006, 09:00 PM

I saw a replay finally

this call was atrocious and a big deal

ref who was responsible should be suspended without pay for awhile