Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 02:01 PM

Default Hypothetical hopefully fun question....

I had this happen happen in a SNG but I was thinking about it as a cash hand from the opponent's perspective.

First the hand (here's it on pokerhand.org )

but I'll write it out with commentary-
PokerStars Game #9551540242: Tournament #48483970 $10+$1 Hold'em No Limit - Level II (15/30) - 2007/04/22 - 13:04:03 (ET)
Table '48483970 1' 9-max Seat #8 is the button
Seat 1: forish (1440 in chips)
Seat 2: DaLucker (1455 in chips)
Seat 4: abitfaded (1575 in chips)
Seat 5: tko828 (1970 in chips)
Seat 6: Kurto (1785 in chips) Seat 7: cavyman (2590 in chips)
Seat 8: $$hma$$ (1280 in chips)
Seat 9: supersteve18 (1405 in chips)

Forish is the BB and I'm 2 from the button with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

2 folds, tko limps for $30, I limp, 1 fold, button raises to $120, 1 fold, bb calls, tko folds... I close the betting so I call.

FLOP:
7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Forish checks. I bet $270. Button folds.... Forish pauses and calls.

<font color="red"> I say aloud... there's the ace of spades. No more spades please. </font>

TURN: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

He PAUSES then checks. I bet 450. He waits until the timer almost runs out then minraises me. I of course push. He calls. And he has the naked Ace of spades.

So... I was thinking about this happening in a cash game.

Against a player you respect, would you EVER put someone on a straight flush? Is there ever a situation where you have the nutflush, you're relatively deep, and you respect your opponent enough that based on the action, and you are deep enough, that you should and could lay down an ace high flush where a straight flush is possible? Where you KNOW that they only thing they'll do this with is the stone cold nuts?

I'm fascinated by the idea because I think the people's hands assuming the players are both decent and realize the other player isn't dumb, and stacks are pretty deep... at some point doesn't it become rather obvious?

If this is a cash game... I'm not an idiot, I'm not likely to be betting the turn with anything less then a flush. When he raises me, he might as well turn his card over (especially after the dramatic pauses)... In a cash game if I'm decent... am I really pushing over him with a lower flush? How deep do people have to be where you realize that you shouldn't push the ace high flush?

Sorry if this is long and not as interesting to others. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 04-26-2007, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Hypothetical hopefully fun question....

Well..in my opinion, unless its one card to a str8 flush, you are not folding. People will say if you are deep enough you can, but if you are really that deep you just wont put it all in, simply calling with the nut flush.

I had one hand where it was one card needed for a straight flush and I had it. Stacks were about 100bbs each. He bet and I raised, he folded saying he had the A for the flush but there was only one card that could raise there.

In other words, NO, never folding IMO, just maybe not going all in. But 90% of the time BUSTOOOO