Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Low content.. Christian Radio host on Survivor

Is it just me?

One of the contestants on the new survivor is a Christian Radio Host.

At the beginning of the show there is a ceremony by the Chinese that Jeff (the Host) says is to welcome them to China. He specifically says it is NOT religous.

Basically, there's a lot of bowing in front of Buddha statues.

Christian woman walks out because she feels she says it FEELS like she's worshipping... ?!?!?

Jeff asks her about it then she states something like "I'm not religious but I have a relationship with Jesus so...."

???

(1) Is it possible to unwittingly worship another God? If not, isn't her freak out just a little ridiculous?
(2) She's not religious?

I find it very hard to even consider the religion seriously when I find so many of its followers to be so silly and simple.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Low content.. Christian Radio host on Survivor

[ QUOTE ]
(1) Is it possible to unwittingly worship another God?

[/ QUOTE ]

I LOVE that I live in a world where someone actually forms this sentance. It really made me laugh.

My life has become richer.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:44 PM

I must admit I'm a little confused. Isn't the sentence the correct question to ask based on her reaction? She said she felt like was worshipping....
Old 09-21-2007, 05:37 PM

There is nothing wrong with your question kurto.

My laughter was more directed at person you talk about.

The sentance just was the icing on the cake. I agree with most of your post, it is just ridiculous that something you have wittnessed would make 'Is it possible to unwittingly worship another God?' a sensible question to ask. Which it is in this instance, which is why I laugh.

Hope that makes sense.

I laugh with you, not at.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:57 PM

It's strange to me, because I would think that one could worship any God they like through various mediums. I was a Christian when I first went to Japan and I felt a sense of awe and reverence at the great shinto temples I visited. As an atheist, I spent a lot of time meditating in those same temples and I felt I got a lot out of the experience.

I do have a somewhat hard time understanding why this woman is so defensive about the ways in which to worship and appreciate God.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:08 PM

Well technically worshipping false idols or having other gods is amongst the big sins in christianity, so you can NOT worship god through any medium, so I guess she has a point. I mean, I don't understand it, but if one was to believe in the bible it would make more sense to be vary here than not to be vary. As for her not being religious I think you'd find plenty of people who would not think of themselves as especially religious but still have some 'awe' of the bible and its teachings still.

Anyways, it isn't dreadfully interesting nor do I take it as some hard evidence she is stupid and simple. I'm not a theist but if I was I can imagine it would be weird being inside another 'temple', religious one or not.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's strange to me, because I would think that one could worship any God they like through various mediums. I was a Christian when I first went to Japan and I felt a sense of awe and reverence at the great shinto temples I visited. As an atheist, I spent a lot of time meditating in those same temples and I felt I got a lot out of the experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

When did that happen?
Old 09-22-2007, 01:34 AM

A year after my first visit, I returned to Japan in Fall of 2005 as an atheist. I made friends with a japanese daoist monk at that time and he taught me about meditation. That place is so beautiful, it would really inspire anybody who would look upon it.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well technically worshipping false idols or having other gods is amongst the big sins in christianity, so you can NOT worship god through any medium, so I guess she has a point. I mean, I don't understand it, but if one was to believe in the bible it would make more sense to be vary here than not to be vary. As for her not being religious I think you'd find plenty of people who would not think of themselves as especially religious but still have some 'awe' of the bible and its teachings still.

Anyways, it isn't dreadfully interesting nor do I take it as some hard evidence she is stupid and simple. I'm not a theist but if I was I can imagine it would be weird being inside another 'temple', religious one or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still going with stupid...
She can't accidentally worship another idol. Bowing respectfully at a temple is not worshipping another God. It takes a choice to worship. I could fall on my knees and bow to a statue but its meaningless in itself. "I felt like I was worshipping..." she doesn't know what the word means.

Regarding is she religious... Her job is a Christian Radio Host. She had to leave the temple because she felt like she was 'worshipping' which is a violation of her religion.

She says she has a relationship with Christ.

But she isn't religious?

I have to stick with simple and stupid. I dont think she knows what it means to 'worship' nor even what it means to be religious.