Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2007, 01:41 AM

Default Played A,Q poorly...Advice

Hell all I am relatively new to NL cash games (starting playing 5 days ago) but have played quite a bit of NL tournament.

Overall I find I have been making slow steady increases during a session only to lose most of it on one poorly played hand. Here is one of those hands. For starters I realize I probably should have raised more preflop, slowplaying the flop was prob questionable, and prob should have just called his reraise on the river. Other than that any suggestions?

Party Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.02/$0.04 Blinds - 9 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $2.20
BB: $10.12
UTG: $1.54
UTG+1: $4.64
MP1: $2.70
MP2: $5.16
Hero (MP3): $3.46
CO: $6.38
BTN: $5.25

Preflop: Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (9 Players)
2 folds, MP1 calls $0.04, MP2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.08</font>, 2 folds, SB calls $0.06, BB folds, MP1 calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.28) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players)
SB checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($0.28) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players)
SB checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks

River: ($0.28) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $0.04</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.40</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to $0.80</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises all-in to $3.38</font>, SB calls all-in for $1.32
Uncalled bet of $1.26 returned to Hero

Pot Size: $4.52 ($0.22 Rake)

SB had A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (a full house, Aces full of Fours) and WON (+$2.10)
Hero had Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (three of a kind, Aces) and LOST (-$2.20)
Old 09-28-2007, 01:42 AM

Default Re: Played A,Q poorly...Advice

Call the river 3-bet
Old 09-28-2007, 01:46 AM

Bet flop.

As played bet turn.

As played just call the river 3bet.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:52 AM

So you would never slow play the flop having a good kicker in this situation?
Old 09-28-2007, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So you would never slow play the flop having a good kicker in this situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. When I raise pre-flop if it's headsup I bet the flop 99.9% of the time. If it's 3way I bet most of the time I think but not all the time: depends on board texture and such.

So the point is when I flop a good hand and bet all it looks like is what I do like every single time. So most of the time slowplaying especially on the flop would just be dumb as everybody expects me to bet anyway.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:03 AM

Thinking back to this table, I think what influenced my decision to slow play was that this table was exceptionally passive, and I didn't want to lose any action. Looking at the history my reraise on the river was an obvious mistake. His reraise should have definitely put me on alert. Oh well until the next one...

Thanks for the input.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:34 AM

Correct me if I am wrong. I suck at tourneys, but I do well in cash games.

But a difference between tourneys and a cash is that you are almost always at least 100BB deep in a cash game, while you are usually a lot less deep in a tourney. Since you want all your stack in, you cannot afford to skip a betting round because of the depth of your stack . And you do not want to give free cards to weaker aces. If you bet they'll call anyway (because these flops are what people who play A5o are hoping for). Get the money in while ahead.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:30 AM

Also, the river min bet, min reraise of your overbet is a good sign he has the nuts or close to it (at these stakes).
Old 09-28-2007, 09:46 AM

the only real mistake was raising ai on the river. Just call the river bet!
Old 09-28-2007, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Correct me if I am wrong. I suck at tourneys, but I do well in cash games.

But a difference between tourneys and a cash is that you are almost always at least 100BB deep in a cash game, while you are usually a lot less deep in a tourney. Since you want all your stack in, you cannot afford to skip a betting round because of the depth of your stack . And you do not want to give free cards to weaker aces. If you bet they'll call anyway (because these flops are what people who play A5o are hoping for). Get the money in while ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not sure if I agree, I think you always have to balance the odds of being outdrawn against making as much as you can out of the hand. In this case if Im either way ahead or way behind on the flop, if ahead my opponent is down to 2 outs. Unfortunately it didn't go my way. If he didn't have the ace chances are he would have folded, and my slow play might have possible sucked a couple more bets out of him if he connected on the turn or river. (assuming of course he is a poor player)